Thread: what do you think?

Default what do you think?

DS is in kindergarten. His teacher is aware he has aspergers. On a few occasions he has mentioned that he has asked to go to the toilet and she has said no. As a result he wees a bit in his pants, he says nothing as he doesn't want to be in trouble. When he told me again tonight. I told him I was going to speak with his teacher about it. He become quite anxious and said " mum you don't need to talk to her, I didn't wee my pants my drink bottle leaked onto my pants and that's why they were wet" I feel so sad for him. They must get in alot of trouble for needing the toilet during class. He was toilet trained at a young age a d has good bladder control, however won't just go for the sake of going. He waits till his bladder is quite full. This may not co incide with lunch breaks.

I going to speak with her tomorrow but I'm worried it will make DS more anxious.

Sorry you are having issues. My son started kindergarten this year too. I've had two issues that I contacted his teacher about, though I didn't tell my son I had contacted her. Both times the issues were resolved quickly.

I'd suggest talking to his teacher about it, either ring and leave a message to call you back or leave a note. Rather than talking to her in front of him which may upset him. I know my DS wouldn't like that either so it's quite common for them not to want to make waves. It's an issue that can be easily dealt with and hopefully she will be accommodating.

Is it possible that he isn't actually asking the teacher and that is why he doesn't want you to talk to her? I know that my son sometimes stretches the truth about things and then when I say I will talk to the teacher he suddenly back peddles and the story changes.

I really hope she isn't stopping him from going to the toilet!

I think it is definitely worth following up with the teacher.

I agree that it is worth following up my daughter has recently been diagnosed with aspergers and is also in kinder she too waits until her bladder is full until it registers that she needs to use the toilet fortunately her kinder are quite understanding of this. It wouldn't hurt to talk to his teacher and get both sides of the story

Thanks for all your advice I will try and speak with her without DS knowledge. Geez when they start school it's soo hard!

We had issues with dd not going often enough, we spoke to her teacher and she encourages her to go more often but does it by sending a few of them together so it's not dd being singled out.