thread: Christmas menu ideas 2012

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

We use my Granny's old croquet set although we've replaced a few clubs and balls over the year. There are a few shops that sell croquet equipment online or if you dropped into the croquet club just next to the Hyatt they might be able to sell you something.
    Thanks! I didn't think of the Hyatt!

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Your Christmas Menu

Have you got your Christmas Day menu planned yet? Have you started shopping for it? Have you made the pudding yet?

I have not finalised my menu. I still don't know if we are having Christmas here or at my Mum's. All I know is it's not going to be at the IL's. I have a few things in mind, all a bit special for us, especially since last Christmas Day I was stuck at work all day. Very sad. Anyway. Darn it, distracted by Rhino, and forgot what I was going to type!

If you have a done menu, or ideas, care to share with us? I will come back later to post some of my ideas, which probably aren't all that special, but compared to the meat pie I had last year, on my own, anything will be special. I am looking forward to reading others', and also trying to get into the spirit, especially now the children know its a big thing.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2006

Your Christmas Menu

We are doing BBQ prawns with lime aoli for entree. Roast pork and veggies for main. Pudding for dessert. Nothing too complex due to bub. DH will do the roast in the BBQ to help out. There will be lots of fresh fruit and nuts on the table for grazing. Still deciding if we will have ham or turkey as well.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2009
    In my own little fantasy world

Kind of. No and No.

We will be home all day, just us . I have a few ideas in mind for the menu. Shopping is not started since menu is undecided. Traditional Pudding isn't really something we have.

I'm thinking banana pancakes for breakfast. DH will be working in the morning so we have to wait for him to get home so it might be a second breakfast depending on how the kids hold up.

Roast chicken with vegies for lunch - no entree. DH will cook on BBQ.
    Something yummy and chocolatey and ice-creamy for dessert. Don't know what yet though. Maybe Matthew Hayden's mums macadamia chocolate pudding with ice-cream.

Fruit, nuts, cheese, chockies to snack on.
    Homemade Gingerbread biscuits too because DS loves them

Leftovers or sandwiches or something simple for dinner.

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Your Christmas Menu

Yep but not bought everything yet, and only the ILs like Christmas pudding so they are bringing one

We are hosting this year (finally) and I'm quite excited. DS is 3.5 and this will be his fourth Christmas and the first one he gets to spend at home!

We have a few people coming for breakfast and then more will arrive in time for lunch.

For breakfast we have ( on the BBQ) Christmas Ham, tomatoes, mushrooms, eggs. We will have a loaf fresh out of the bread maker and hash browns too

We are doing prawns for entree with Mums homemade seafood sauce

We are having Roast Pork, Beef and Chicken on the webber. Homemade apple sauce. We'll have roast potatoes, roast vege medley, mushy peas and other steamed veg, stuffed mushrooms, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. We'll also have a platter of sliced ham

For dessert I am making a chocolate ripple log and a summer berries triffle

DS and I are putting together a gingerbread train and we make little Christmas cupcakes that look like Santa hats

For nibbles I'm planning a trio of dips with flatbreads, cheese platter and some chips/nuts etc - and Christmas M&Ms

My Mum, uncle, me and Dad are all foodies so will all pitch in and have fun in the kitchen together (glass of wine in hand)

I love living off Christmas leftovers in the following days. It'll be food heaven!

BellyBelly Member
    Add Ms_Fi on Facebook

May 2009
    Hunter Valley, NSW

Your Christmas Menu

We're having prawns with chili/lime aoili for entree, roast chicken, roast pork (done on the BBQ), potato bake, roast veggies, Yorkshire puddings and gravy for main with trifle for dessert.

I think there's only going to be 6 of us for lunch but I'm not sure, could be more.

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2006
    Perth

DH's family Christmas will be at our place here on the 16th and we're having

Roast pork
    Roast turkey
    Ham
    Roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin
    Peas
    Pickled gerkin things that are traditional Estonian
    Egg things again Estonian
    Estonian sausage roll things
    Green salad (I have NO idea why, but that's what "they" do)
    plum pudding with custard and cream
    Mini cheesecakes - mint, cappuccino, lemon and malteser varieties

I'm doing everything but the Estonian stuff and the plum pudding - that's MIL's territory so I leave her to it

Christmas Day will be just us and my folks at our place. I'll probably get another ham because DH and the girls really like that. Otherwise we'll be having sausages on the bbq for DH and the kids, and bbq crayfish, prawns, morton bay bugs and scallops for me, mum and stepdad. We'll have some yummy salads, but don't know what yet, and I'll do some chips in the oven for the men and the kids. Dessert will be an icecream pie thing that is layered cake, icecream, fudge sauce and biscuit base. Yummmmmmm

I've ordered all the meat. Will get vegies and seafood day before. Will get nibblies etc a few days before.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Your Christmas Menu

We always have the same, more or less We have a late breakfast with MIL then late lunch with my mum.

Crepes with whatever topping or filling you want (usually sugar and lemon, Nutella or jam)
    French toast
    Banana or berry smoothy

Nibbles are cheese platters and fruit platters
    Mum usually brings prawns and oysters

Lunch is DH's orange and maple glaze ham
    Asian baked salmon
    Grain salad
    Apple and fennel salad
    Potato salad
    Turkey or chicken

Desert is mums amazing Pav
    Watermelon, mint and balsamic salad

Usually we make punch, then split it and spike half for those wanting something stronger lol

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

Moderator Message
    FYI - merged threads.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

Lulu ... wanna share that *icecream pie thing* recipe???

We are doing xmas for the first time this year....Miss H asked, so we said yep.

All I know is we will be having a BBQ. That is about as far as I have gotten! So I shall be reading this thread closely

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

We always have the same, more or less We have a late breakfast with MIL then late lunch with my mum.

Crepes with whatever topping or filling you want (usually sugar and lemon, Nutella or jam)
    French toast
    Banana or berry smoothy
    So, I'll be at your place for brekky then it's a quick flight back home to get dinner on ...... and i'll have to fit in picking up that ice-cream pie too!

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Christmas menu ideas 2012

The more the merrier! I'm not doing shizz this year, I'll have either just given birth or will be overdue and grumpy, so I'll be the one on the couch demanding more crepes baha.

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2010
    Sydney Aus

Lulu ... wanna share that *icecream pie thing* recipe???
    was going to ask the same thing, yummy!

Rach83 Guest

We are prob going out for lunch. I will be fresh out of hospital with a newborn. That or cold chicken, salad and prawns!

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Lionsandbears; oops, I honestly didn't see the first thread! I wouldn't have made mine if I did. My bad.

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

I'm inventing a layered frozen icecream dessert, involving rum-soaked raisins, almonds, coffee, hmmmm what else... Still inventing...
    ".
    Have you finalised the recipe MD? I need ideas. We're doing separate menus for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I have a bit of soaked fruit I could make into an ice-cream thingy. Or do a summer berry type pudding.

menu so far:
    Christmas Eve:
    entree: ?? May just do dips and nibblies

Main: slow cooked roast lamb, gravy, mint sauce, with roast potatoes & salad

Dessert: ?? I want to do something light.

Christmas Day:
    entree: Snapper and prawns with salad

Main: Turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce with roast veggies and greens

Dessert: Christmas pudding; profiteroles with chocolate Cointreau sauce

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Christmas Day is low key this year so we'll be having. Creme Brulee croissant pudding for breakfast and then for lunch we'll be have coke cooked ham, potato gratin and steamed veg. Dessert will be pudding and custards. Nibbles will be chips, cheese, shortbread, pierogis (if I can make them tomorrow night)

Boxing Day will be the big feast. Ham and cheese croissants for champagne breakfast. Turkey, duck fat potatoes, anchovy peas, sweet potato casserole, beans, dinner rolls, trifle etc. and nibbles will be the same as day before.

Ill also have worked 8 days straight before hand and will be back to work on the 27th after two days of cooking. But hey that's what this is all about right?

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

Re: Christmas menu ideas 2012

Christmas eve is low key. It's my birthday and I don't intend to spend it cooking. Christmas day we're having turducken, pigs in blankets, goose fat potatoes, sprouts, broccoli, carrots, cranberry sauce and gravy mmmm. Cherry Christmas pudding, brandy snaps and cream for desert. I love Christmas dinner