Thread: Cranberry sauce

Default Cranberry sauce?

Hello

Am toying with the idea of making some cranberry sauce or even jam this year. I like the idea of cooking something red and putting it in a jar . Very christmassy.

So - have you made cranberry sauce (or even jam)? What sort of recipe did you use? I like the idea of using orange juice and spices in there as well, but the only recipe I've found has mint and nuts as well as port and it sounds like it's sweet sweet sweet rather than something you could have with meat.

TIA for any suggestions.

Last edited by AnyDream; December 21st, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

I made jam tonight!!! Apricot jam with fruit from our tree and it turned out perfectly! I just had some on fresh bread and ermagerd it was good! The brought cranberry jam I've had has always been on the sweet side, I've not had a more savoury type one? I have a recipe for cherry jam, but depending on how cheap you can get the cherries it might work out too expensive? Finding fresh cranberries is going to be the trick though I think. I don't think I've seen them in supermarkets?

The recipe I used for the jam was 3lb of apricots and 3lb of sugar and about 6 almond kernels from inside the seed. If you want the recipe I can give it to you.

ETA - there is a cranberry sauce recipe on taste (au) that does use spices and only 1cup of sugar which may be what you're after.

Sounds YUM!! I looooove proper apricot jam - the problem with bought jam (IMO) is that they don't use the ripest fruit like you do if you're making it at home.

Are the almond kernals for pectin?

Re cranberry jam - I was thinking sweet jam, like you would have on your toast. BUT I've noticed that the americans don't seem to differentiate between jams and jellies and sauce - they all seem to have the same amount of sugar . That's one of the reasons I'd like to have a go at making some - to relax the sugar enough to let the other flavour through.

I did make a cranberry chutney one year for Christmas - it was lovely.

The kernels were just for extra flavour, the sugar and the amount of time you cook it for is enough to set it. And I did use really ripe fruit too. It has a gorgeous colour when it's spread.