Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you eat red meat on Good Friday?

Default Re: Do you eat red meat on Good Friday?

I was raised Catholic and continue to be a Christian. We are having beef tonight. I don't like fish and very much doubt that Jesus cares what I eat for dinner.

I don't, my mother was strict on that growing up. Even telling off her MiL for eating meat on Good Friday!

But then, fish is yum and we usually have fish on a Friday anyway. Mmmm, fish pie ce soir, can't wait!

If I remember, we have fish and chips as a special tradition - by religious based more a ritual for us.

I have never eaten red meat on Good Friday. DH finds it very amusing though because he's sure he read somewhere that the fishmongers actually started it years ago because they wanted to sell more fish to the Catholics.

I told him I don't care how it started, it has taken on significance for us for other reasons so we observe it.

It's just a non-religious tradition for my family, and not even a well-kept one. My mum loves telling the story of how when I was little she and dad took me out for a special "no meat" Good Friday dinner... To Pizza Hut. It wasn't until Dad was telling his own mum about it that it dawned on them that they hadn't really got it right Most other Good Fridays growing up, we had fish & chips. Tonight we had McDonald's and chocolate

We had roast lamb. After not eating for 5 days, it was the best thing I've ever eaten!

I don't normally, just because it's an awesome excuse to pig out on seafood! I did yesterday though.. I'm not religious so it makes no difference to me.

I never used to until I met DH and it was a big thing to do in his family. Even though it's probably a traditional Catholic thing to do (Dh's family are Methodist) I think it's still adopted by most Christian religions in some form as a throwback to fasting rituals during Lent. And is the case with most religious practices, it's been bastardised to the point where no one really knows why certain things are *done*, they just are.

So we do it every year, if for no other reason than it's the only time we can get guaranteed fresh seafood out here.

I don't generally because I don't like fish. I may have accidentally in the past though, if we've had fish and chips for dinner (apparently I only like fish when it's battered and deep fried). We're considered a Christian religion, but our 'easter' generally falls earlier than everyone elses - this year it was on Monday night, so we had our Memorial celebration then. I pretty much forget about the fish on Friday thing unless someone on my FB or Twitter says something.

This year I did look it up though, the reasoning behind it, and found it quite interesting! But just because we don't do it doesn't mean that I would deliberately point out that I'm eating red meat on Good Friday. Gots to be nice to people

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123