Thread: Sage and Walnut Turkey Stuffing - for Sangie

Default Sage and Walnut Turkey Stuffing - for Sangie

So sorry L - completely forgot about getting this for you. Here 'tis - everyone loved it last week, even MIL!! ;-)

30g butter
    4 bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped
    1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    140g (2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs made from day-old bread
    55g (1/2 cup) walnut halves, coarsely chopped
    1 tbs finely shredded fresh sage
    1 egg, lightly whisked
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Melt 20g of the butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add bacon, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, walnuts, sage and egg and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff your bird ;-)

I had a 7kg turkey and made double the amount of stuffing because I loosen the skin around the turkey's neck and then stuff between the breast meat and the skin to add bulk, and therefore reduce the drying out that often happens. Use maybe a third (of a double quantity) to do the breast stuffing, and then the rest in the cavity. I then put a lemon "in the hole" before tying his legs together.

In the past I've substituted proscuito for the bacon, pine nuts for the walnuts, added a squeeze or six of lemon juice. Its very basic, but gives a really yum flavour

Default Re: Sage and Walnut Turkey Stuffing - for Sangie

Yummm

Thanks Hun! I'm about to go out and get groceries for Chrissy so perfect timing! xo