Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural alternatives to Anti Depressants

Default Natural alternatives to Anti Depressants

I have been struggling a bit with parenting, life and it is now affecting my relationship with DH. Both he and my GP have suggested I go back on Anti Depressants just to get me through a few hurdles at the moment. If it is going to help my relationship with DH then I know it will be helpful, but I am being a bit reluctant at the moment. I have been on AD's before and I hate the feeling when it is time to come off them. I find the withdrawl process very difficult, plus I don''t want to be a 'numb mummy' around my DD's. So before I try again, I was wondering if anyone had tried any Natural Tablets (Blackmores etc) that have worked well. I just thought I would try that first before commiting to the other option.

I would speak to a qualified naturopath but St John's Wart is meant to be good.

Best of luck x

n2l

Yeah I found St Johns Wort really good many years ago...

St Johns Wort is a natural anti depressant, but before using it please check with your Dr that it is alright to take if you take any other sort of medication and be sure to stop using it before you start taking any prescription AD's.

I don't know if you're breastfeeding but if you are check if any natural remedies are ok before using them. I'm pretty sure that St John's Wort isn't recommended for BFing women.

I've used SAMe but there's no studies about it being used in pregnancy or breastfeeding. A B complex is good too.

A couple of other things would be to ensure you've have a blood test to test things like Thyroid, Iron etc.

If you've had side effects or withdrawal from SSRI anti depressants, I wonder if you'd be better on another type, like the old Tricyclic, MAOI, or a RIMA (Aurorix) instead?

I would mention your concerns to the GP. You might be better to see a Psychiatrist or go to a public mental health clinic, as they have a much better knowledge about different anti depressants, than GP's in all honesty.

I highly recommend St Johns Wort if you aren't pregnant or breastfeeding or on any other medications, i just restarted using it again and within days i was feeling a million zillion times better! I can't believe the difference it makes, but you should check with your GP before you start taking it in case its not suitable for you.

Thanks so much for the responses so far. It is really appreciated. I am only new here, but can see it is a very supportive community.
    I am not breastfeeding, my youngest is 4. DH and I have decided that we are going to stop at two (as much as I have contemplated trying to give DH a son).
    I have been going through some anxiety issues, and really do not feel myself at the moment. I dont want to burden anyone on here with the specifics, but I am feeling lost. I want to be better for DH, and we dont need anymore strains in our relationship, so I do need to make some changes. Thank you for the suggestions of St John's Wort. I have heard of it, but never looked into it seriously. I will into that, but maybe seriously consider that I might be delaying the inevitable and start the AD's sooner rather than later.
    Thank you for suggestions and ideas

Some other things that may help are regular exercise, nothign strenuous but a simple walk in the sun each day may also help. Similiarly minimising your caffeine, alcohol and sugar intake too. Regular healthy meals and things rich in omega 3 also help - so salmon, avocado, walnuts etc. Can you also make some time for you - catch up with some of your people etc. Anything to find some of the things that make you feel happy etc - sounds simple and a bit twee but it will help! xxxxx

Hi

St John's Wort is good however I am doing a pharmacology subject at Uni at the moment and if you are on the pill, St John's Wort can stop it from being effective.

Just thought I'd let you know. And as the others have said see your GP first, especially if you are taking any other medications.

With Anxiety I found what helped was learning basic yoga, as you learn a good breathing technique. Also something like Tai Chi, or other exercises, or crafts, art etc can help you focus on the moment more. When my iron or ferritin levels are on the low side of normal, I get more anxious.

Mumma22 - Try this forum : Self Help and Natural Options for Depression & Anxiety

There's a lot of info in there about non-pharmaceutical depression management. Don't forget to boost exercise and sunlight exposure.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazbah View Post
    Mumma22 - Try this forum : Self Help and Natural Options for Depression & Anxiety

There's a lot of info in there about non-pharmaceutical depression management. Don't forget to boost exercise and sunlight exposure.

All the best!
    Thanks Kazbah, I will look at that thread now. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

I have had a very low day today, very teary and it has been topped off with a fight with DH.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and the ones directed at relaxation tips. Having 'me' time isn't overly easy at the moment. Just trying to take one day at a time, but feeling very overwhelmed at the moment.

Thanks again......

Hang in there! Hope you are feeling a bit better, these things take time especially whilst you get in the routine of new changes and you have to be kind to yourself too. xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Artechim View Post
    St Johns Wort is a natural anti depressant, but before using it please check with your Dr that it is alright to take if you take any other sort of medication and be sure to stop using it before you start taking any prescription AD's.
    was about to say exactly the same thing! if you are keen on trying something natural first, just check with your GP or pharmacist, because they do sometimes muck around with other medication you are on. hope it works out for you.

Thanks girls for your suggestions and ideas. I ended up at my GP's today and she feels it is best if I do start up on Anti Depressants again. I need to be a bit stronger for those around me, so I am going to go ahead and start tomorrow morning. But getting some more me time and being a bit more healthier will definately help I think(hope). At least I know about St John's Wort for the future. Thank you..

I hope you are alright with the decision xx

Be gentle with yourself, I hope you're feeling better soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast