Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Advice Needed Please

  1. #1
    mr89906 Guest

    Default Advice Needed Please

    Hi, Im not sure if this is the right place to post but not sure where else to turn. I have a gorgeous 15 week old bub and have had to separate from my partner due to abuse and being scared for my bubs welfare. Im just wondering if anyone can let me know what the chances are of him being able to gain custody or visitation rights are if i have left him purely for my babies own safety in the first place?? I have been staying with him as bub will be better off with us together than having to see him alone as she definately wouldnt be safe. But things have got out of hand and i have left but am scared that he will gain some visitation rights??? Hes not at all interested so hopefully hell just disappear and im worrying over nothing! Many Thanks

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    In the darkroom


    First of all - big hugs . I can't imagine how difficult this is for you.

    I really commend you for having the courage to leave. It takes a lot of bravery and you have absolutely done the right thing for you and your baby. I think in this case it is better for your daughter if you aren't together as raising a child in that kind of environment could be toxic for her.

    I don't have any advice on visitation rights but hopefully someone will pop in shortly with some information.

    Welcome to BB and I hope you stick around - there are so many wonderful, caring people here and you will find loads of support.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2004


    You don't say where you are, but you can usually get some help and advice from your local Legal Aid office. Check out your phone book or google your state and Legal Aid.

    Otherwise, get some advice from your local Women's Legal Service or Community Legal Service.

    Each case is different, the decision-maker takes into account each individual characteristic of each case, so I can't make a general "this is what happens when" statement.

    Best wishes. Get some independent legal advice ASAP. If you're worried about your safety, also check out women's refuges in your area. They may be able to help you.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise


    i would also suggest, if it's for violence, you speak to the loacal authorities about whether you can get an AVO so that it is on record.

    if you contact the Family Relationships Advice Line, they can refer you to appropriate support services in your area

    good luck

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    S/West Sydney


    Just wanted to say BIG HUGS hun,

    I agree with BG- get it on record if its violence so if he does try to get visitation or custody it is on record that he has been abusive. all the other advice is good also...

    You've done the right thing for bubs getting out of that situation... stay strong and GL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts