Thread: Centrelink single parenting payment

Default Centrelink single parenting payment

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone (single) is currently a stay-at-home Mum and receiving Centrelink parenting payments?

I've been into Centrelink to find out what I might be able to expect when I stop working (not taking maternity leave as I'm moving towns). They gave me a whole lot of pamphlets and said that there are about 7 different payments I will be eligible for. I've read the paperwork and am totally confused.

What I really want to know is, as a single, non working first time Mum of 1 currently living with my parents, what might I expect to see in my bank account from Centrelink each fortnight? I'm trying to budget and it's hard when I have no idea of a figure to work with.

Cheers for ANY help at all.

Did they direct you to the website? It would be a good start - you input all your information and it will spit a general figure out.

Generally speaking you will be eligible for Parenting Payment Single, FTB part A and B, rent assistance if you pay rent.

rhyb Guest

As Lulu said pretty much. I live with my grandparents and receive Parenting Payment Single, FTB A and B and rent assisstance.

Thanks for your replies!

I found the estimator on the CL website, but it asked for an annual income and I wasn't sure what to put for that. Do they mean what I've earnt over the past year (pre-baby) or what I will be earning annually once she's born (in 2 months)? It says to include any CL payments received, but I don't know what they'll be.

Also, am I right in thinking I will get the baby bonus too ($5,000 paid over 13 fortnights)? If so, is that on top of parenting payment single, FTB Part A & B?

I'm not sure if i'll be eligible for rent assistance, although I pay Mum and Dad $100 per week.

rhyb Guest

You will be eligible for rent assisstance even for $100 a week.
    Baby bonus gets paid on extra.
    As for your first question Im not sure cant remember setting up mine (preggy brain) and I wasnt working before I had DS.
    HTH

Maybe put $0 in for PPS.

For FTB, you will need to put in how much you have already earnt for this Financial year.

PPS is income support and taxable. It is affected by Mat leave or part time income for example. It can also be affect by other forms of income.

FTB going off your entire income for the whole year, so you must estimate if you don't know. So this fin year you will give them the figure (already earnt) for this year, and next year, if you won't be working for the entire year, you give a figure of $0.

Okay, I've had a go on the estimator and this financial year I think I will have earnt around $25,000 (at a guess-I've been traveling OS and working bits and pieces here and there).

The figures it's come up with are:
    $150 FTB part A
    $130 FTB part B
    $570 PPS
    $400 for 13 fortnights Baby Bonus
    $15 Rent Assistance
    TOTAL $1250 for first 13 fortnights, then $865 once Baby Bonus fully paid.

Does this sound about right?

Yeah - every single case is different but those amount seem standard.

yeah that sounds about right. ftba and rent assitance might be impacted by maintenance entitlements though - but you'll always have MORE money than you lose for maintenance (so if you get 100 maintenance you'll lose no more than 50 in ftba and rent combined)

I'm not sure whether I will get any kind of maintenance, because Bub's Dad is a British Citizen and lives in the UK. Centrelink told me he wouldn't have to pay anything.

Does anyone know how I go about making sure my baby has dual citizenship, or will that be automatic once her British Dad is on the birth certificate?

Re the citizenship, your bub will automatically have dual citizenship. When you want to travel you just have to fill out a UK passport form and get the Dad to sign it...but you'll prob need copies of his BC etc. When I did my kids passports (i'm a UK citizen their Dad is Kiwi citizen, Aus perm res) it was actually easier to get thier UK passports than their Aussie ones and they were all born here.

HTH

Hi newmummy85,

I get the single parent payment from Centrelink and I get $1000 a fortnight, I live at home with my family too.

HTH

Keira: how do you manage to get that much?? im on max benefit of PPS, FTB a and b, and rent assistance, and i get about $870 a fortnite...and i live away from home so its not reduced for anything...or are you including CS cause i dont get anythign off XP...

tattoo_mama.. i get the same as Keira... but i've got 2 kids lol
    My friend who only has 1 child gets the same amount as you