Thread: Changing child's name

Default Changing child's name

My partner of 25 yrs died almost two year ago. When we named our DD I didn't like her middle names - she has two - and she is also embarrassed of them. They are her grandmothers names.

DD is 16 now and we have discussed changing them but she feels bad as her dad chose them.

Is it disrespectful to change them?

Aimee89 Guest

Do the middle names have any sentimental value to her, or you? If not, I don't think it is a bad thing for her to want to change her middle names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure if its disrespectful, but I do think it needs to be her decision. If she feels bad about it then maybe its not the right time for her.
    I dont really like my middle name but I also never use it.
    Does she use the names often?

No she doesn't use them but when they are used for official documents I can see her cringe.

I think she she feels bad in a way as she knows he wouldn't have liked it.

I hate my middle name, but out of respect for my parents and grandparents, I've kept them. I cringe sometimes, but *meh* it doesn't make me and people don't know it most of the time or if they do, its not something they call me ever...

I hate my middle name: Marguerita......but would never dream of changing it. My nana was "Margaret & my great Nana was Marguerite....so my Dad chose Marguerita as "combination" of both.

I have to admit I'm a little upset my husband and I have chosen to not continue carrying the name on in some way.

*shrug* I'd be honoured to carry the names of two women who if not for them my parents, my siblings and myself would not be here. But that's just me. IMO I think your DD wants to change her middle names because she's a teen (forgive me if this is wrong, as I don't know your DD personally) and maybe in a few years time it wouldn't be so much of a big deal?

it's not disrespectful, it's her name after all so I guess she can do what she wants

Out of curiosity, does she know what she wants to change it to? And if yes, do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please forgive my spelling mistakes!!

Both our girls have their grandmothers names, DD10 thinks it's super special. I'd ask your DD to wait a few years, when she's 18 she can legally change it anyway.

Regards,
    Dianne

Thanks - She has always been embarrassed by the names so nothing new. I guess it just came up again when she was going for her learners permit and they wrote both names down. She usually just uses the one if she has too.