Thread: Did you find it hard to rent a house?

Default Did you find it hard to rent a house?

This is a big consideration when leaving a dp/dh and its played on my mind as my biggest issue if it eventually works out that Dh and I split up.

How hard did you find it to rent a house? The rental market is few and far between nowdays and Ive heard they take upwards of 100 applications. How on earth can a single mum with 3 kids compete?

i know, i've been thinking the same thing when and if I decide to leave Brissy. But a friend said to me the other day that at least the agents know that you are getting money comeing in IYKWIM? They know you will always get CL money - it's guarenteed. Does that make sense? So it's almost a safer option. That, and as long as you were always on time with previous rent/mortgage payments you should be fine

HTH X

Hi - my mum said the same thing to me - while other people may get retrenched or whatever, the government are not going to cut you off.

I applied for four places and was offered the one I'm in after about five weeks of looking. I put a letter with mine outlining what I was entitiled to from centrelink (they later asked for a statement from CL) that I had lived in the area for my whole life, I had a child in school nearby and worked and went to Uni nearby. To give me ties to the area and to show my stability.

I thought I would be looking for 6 months or more and my ex MIL was our landlord, so I had to put her name on application forms.

This was also the first time I have rented. I've been here almost 12 months and got a rent increase starting in January ... of $11 a week - I was so relieved it wasn't more.

good luck !

I was a single mum for 8 years and never had any trouble renting, as others have said, with centrelink payments its fine, i even got my bond paid for through housing agency because i was on benefits and couldnt afford it at the time.

Hi my mum isnt a single parent, but recently divorced and on a cl pension,and she is renting privately and her realistate was very helpful in finding her a place in Sydney, after moving back from Melbourne.I think as long as you can show that you have good references and are able to make your payments,most places will help.

I also haven't had any problems... I got the first property I applied for. However I was very prepared with references, had deposit and bond organised prior, plus had written a letter to the Real Estate/Landlord introducing myself and my circumstances, and why I was so keen to rent in the area I was applying for.

i am glad to hear that you all haven't has too much trouble finding a rental, I will be looking for one next week. I hope i find an agent and landlord who will give a chance

Im looking through 5 houses tomorrow to possibly rent...It's so nerve-wracking! Im worried it will be harder because im a single mum and have been living back at home for the last 2.5 years. Also, 6 years ago (when i was young and stupid ) i was evicted from a property for not paying my rent! Im really hoping it doesn't affect me now. Wish me luck!