Thread: Help for fathers?

Default Help for fathers?

Can someone please give me the best website / phone number / organisation to go to for fathers who have had a relationship breakdown & are facing custody issues?

BIL has been staying with us since January, he has a 7mth old son & today his MIL has threatened to apply for custody of his son, calling both him & SIL bad parents & saying he will never see his son again, unless he continues to pay half SIL's rent each week.

Now I know most of that is codswallop, but he really, really needs legal advice.

He says he has called Legal Aid & they told him they don't deal with it, & told him to call somewhere else, he was a bit hazy on who exactly....

So what's his best next step?

Thanks in advance.

CSA might be a good place to start as they can provide mediation

They gave me a phone number for a local family/relationship group who assist couples come to custody agreements...if it needs to go further they can provide all the contacts for the family court.

rest assured that family law has changed a lot from what it used to be and they highly favor shared custody of kids these days... unless he is a drunkard, on drugs or abusive, he would not be denied some percentage of custody.

all the best.

Child Support Agency won't help.

Your BIL needs to see a lawyer, immediately.

The lawyer will probably refer him to a Family Relationships Centre for mediation with his ex, but not with the MIL. She has her own rights if she chooses to use them.

Lawyer, lawyer, lawyer. THat way he knows his rights before he goes to mediation. And Legal Aid not helping - rubbish. Only if he earns too much.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. I thought it was odd when he said Legal Aid wouldn't help. He didn't say anything about his income, just 'they don't do that'... doesn't sound right to me. I might suggest he tries again

Thanks again

Family Relationships Centre is great. There is a Family relationship advice line you can call as well for a quick reference on who to contact. Theres also a website called Dads in Distress if he wants to look them up.
    Mum in Law cant just take baby. Parents will always get first preference. Must be a very difficult situation to be in. babies are hard enough to look after without having someone criticising him and threatening to take bub.