Thread: How do I record this?

Question How do I record this?

I don't know if I posted about this before (been lurking and not posting for a while) but XH quit his job he's now opened up a new business and is working for himself. He told the CSA and now he has to pay $240 a month child support.

The CSA will let CL know and i'm pretty sure i'll get more money from them. The thing is XH has said that he'll fling me some more money "when he can" so do I then tell CL that?

Do I just call them if he gives me extra? Does it depend how much? I mean, if he gives me an extra $50 one month it's prob not worth saying is it but if he gives me double then do I just call and tell them?

Help! Thanks

IME, I would tell them for sure!
    My ex once gave me $50 to help with medication for our daughter who was sick in hospital. After an arguement, he told them he gave me $50, they asked me if it was true, I said yes and I had to pay it back to him by having him pay $50 less one month.

Yeah, always better to make sure its documented - painful I know

i didnt know that centerlink needed to be informed if extra money is recieved from child maintenance.

I guess if thats the case, write any extra amounts on the calander so that you have a record of how much extra has been recieved and let CL know on a fortnightly basis.

when it comes to child support, always notify the child support agency hun - c'link will only go on what the CSA goes on - so definitely tell CSA

CL and CSA will be linked up as of July 1 this year.

this means that the information from one will automatically be updated on the other.

So if he pays extra I have to tell the CSA not CL? It's a private agreement though so will they even care?
    Lisa - seriously?? Thats nuts!

What if it's $50 worth of presents for the kids? What about if he wants to pay $50 extra then should I tell him to buy $50 worth of food?? Would I have to tell them then or is it just cash?

BTW I'm not trying to find out ways around it I just don't want him to do a grocery shop or something then find out it's the same thing and I have to pay it back IYKWIM??

CQ - Yep, it was nuts. I thought it was to help me out with stuff for our daughter. He was so nice when giving it to me, but a few weeks later when he didn't get his way with something, it all turned ugly and that is when he told CSA about the $50 that I had to then re-pay. I have since learned not to take 1c off him, even when he offers it.

murraysmum Guest

if u recive money or gifts of value you must keep a recipt and tell csa cause if they have a debt and csa wernt notified about the extra given they will deduct that off what they have to pay back so either way u loose out

i aqllways notify them of any changes or any money given to me

Quote Originally Posted by CQueen View Post
    So if he pays extra I have to tell the CSA not CL? It's a private agreement though so will they even care?
    Lisa - seriously?? Thats nuts!

What if it's $50 worth of presents for the kids? What about if he wants to pay $50 extra then should I tell him to buy $50 worth of food?? Would I have to tell them then or is it just cash?

BTW I'm not trying to find out ways around it I just don't want him to do a grocery shop or something then find out it's the same thing and I have to pay it back IYKWIM??

i guess it depends on him. Is he giving the money to you as a gift or will he expect it to form a part of his next months payment?

If you have a good relationship with him it might be worth clearing that up before hand just so you know what page he's on. My ex has at times given extra money for kids school things and i have never claimed this to CL or CSA because the agreement between us was that it did not form part of his regular payments.

Personally, i dont believe it needs to be claimed but i dont know what your circumstances are. My understanding about CSA is that it does not affect your CL payments but i could be wrong of course. All i know is that our family tax benefit is not affected by my CSA payments. However im not on parenting payment so perhaps if you are getting that payment, it may be. You really need to ring and ask CL for clarification on that.

I find centrelink are usually pretty helpful when I ring and ask for advice and stuff . I'd suggest giving them a call and askin them

Quote Originally Posted by Peg View Post
    Personally, i dont believe it needs to be claimed but i dont know what your circumstances are. My understanding about CSA is that it does not affect your CL payments but i could be wrong of course. All i know is that our family tax benefit is not affected by my CSA payments. However im not on parenting payment so perhaps if you are getting that payment, it may be. You really need to ring and ask CL for clarification on that.
    your ftb entitlement is based on what child support you are receiving. if you receive cash child support payments that you do not declare, you are being over paid ftb. if someone decides to do a tip off against you, you may have to pay back as much as 50c for every dollar you've been paid as cash. it's ALWAYS best to be upfront about payments you receive. all it takes is a small snag in your amicable relationship, him getting narky and letting them know what he's paid you as cash above assessment and you may have to pay a lot of money back to c'link

Thanks guys, unfortunatly because it's so close to the end of financial year (I think thats why) I won't get any extra money from Centrelink even though my money from him has gone from $1800 a month to $240 Means we're struggling but at least it'll teach me how to live on that amount so that when my money does go up in the new financial year then I should be able to save quite a bit...

There has to be an upside right??

there is a silver lining to every cloud hun - sometimes it's just that the clouds are so dark the silver is hard to find

That's what I keep telling myself...could be worse couldn't it x

You might be entitled to some more money. As soon as I moved out and notified them they adjusted my claim. It wont hurt to as I said ring and ask them!.

I did, and she said I wasn't entitled I thought it'd be going up heaps but apparently because i've received a high amount of CS during the year, I can't have more CL money now - even though i'm no longer getting the high amount.

ETA if it wasn't for my parents I would seriously have to send the kids to their Dad and be crashing on someones sofa