Thread: money saving ideas

Default money saving ideas

hiya ladies... thought i would introduce myself...my husband suddenly decided that after all the **** hes put me through over the last 6 or so years that because hes been nice for 2 months he no longer has to put up with me being mean to him and that he no longer wants to be in a relationship about 2 weeks ago....great timing when im expecting our #4...

so anyway we got in a fight today and i basically told him to F off today as hes being an ass and i was wonder if anyone knows of anyway to save money on things like maybe food places or something...or anyplaces that can help pay bills as atm im abit behind on a couple as i had to spend almost 600 a couple weeks ago fixing my car...i already suspended the foxtel and will cancel that when the 12 months is up..im on a contract for the internet so cant change that and luckily my mobile is finishing so i can get a cheaper plan next month....

he said he wont help pay for the dog he wanted and he wont take her with him and i dont want him having the kids i would rather him come to my house to visit them...yes im a jealous cow...and he has a bad temper and i have concerns about their safety

im just really gonna be screwed so any help appreciated

If its a dog he wanted or his dog can you give it away? Or find it another home?

As far as paying bills etc i know some states you can get like a rego card and pay a certain amount off a week so at rego time there isnt such a big bill, not sure if Perth does that tho =( sorry. Are you able to put your internet plan on hold? Or change it to the lowest possible rate? My laptop broke but i still had to pay for wireless internet for about 6 months so i just changed it to the lowest price and instead of $80 a month i was paying like $15.

Shopping wise i try to buy in bulk things that dont have a used by date that are on sale, like toilet paper, every now and then they have a 16 rolls for like $8 (of the good stuff!! hehe) so i just buy up then, same goes with washing powder!

Sorry you're going through all this with 3 kids and another on the way it cant be easy!!

Have you spoken with centrelink at all? I know there are a few wizzes on here when it comes to CLink!!

I hope it all works out for you sweety!!!

im paying off advances so will only get 1200-1300 a fortnight with centrelink and rent is 660 a fornight so i will have enough left i hope i will have to ring and see about the internet if theres a lower one i can go on ...

the kids love the dog so i dont wanna get rid off her she mostly good just a german shepard X so things cost a lil more..ad i have pet insurance for her at 40 a month lol but i figure im better off incase something happens to her

Can you get rent assistance? Is your not so DH going to help you out financially?

yeah that ncludes rent assistance and hes unemployed atm so wont have to give me stuff all and it will depend on what mood hes in as to whether he wants to help me more...the fact i didnt kick him out when he first said it doesnt count for nothing apparently.....

im going to try find one of those food places that does it cheap for pension card holders

*update* just called chrisco and cancelled my alcohol and blender lol still getting the meat pack with electric fry pan and first aid kit and now im fully paid with 29 in credit

Goodluck sweety!!

Well, that sounds like it was pleasant. Have you spoken to Child Support Agency? He doesn't actually get a choice in helping - and if you don't organise something with CSA, then your FTB amount will drop to minimum! Not going to be helpful for you - and my XH was told this in NO uncertain terms. I am not going to make the kids suffer through bare minimum because he's too damned stingy to hand over $25 a month!

Do you guys have Aldi's? They rock.

Pre-plan your meals in advance, get all the recipies and have a pre-prepared shopping list (cross-checked with the cupboard) so when you go shopping you only get what you know you need.

St vincents can help with electricity bills in hardship situations.

Budgets are much like diets. One satisfactory splurge and you are right back where you started. Just do one only to establish what you can and cant afford and then work on the basis of need vs want after that.

Hope some of this helps.
    Good luck - and so sorry to hear you end up in this situation.

thanx just wondering what aldis are

He's calmed down now so said he will help if he can he's on unemplyment so just found a place to staybut will only have 60 a fortnight left tip he starts working

I can't change my internet over either and he said he thinks he knows of a cheap food place near here so will show me tomorrow as he gets a lil bit of money so said he will get us some of the basics we've run out off like milk, bread cereal and sandwich spreads...hopefully will cut my mobile to 60 a month soon which will be good
    And will definatly check with vinnies if they can help with my power bill cox that would be another 120 not on bills

DoubleK Guest

My first bt of advice would be to contact centrelink about your entitlements and also child support if you havent already done so. even if things take time to process, you will be back paid from they date you first contacted.

i would get all your bills etc into payment plans, and also try to buy extra groceries on special when possible etc. i always feel better knowing i have extras in my pantry, instead of 'running out' of things.. its a pet hate i have, and im always known to have 2 or 3 of everything!

I've worked out how much my bills are fortnightly and I pay that amount every fortnight so it covers them for the year. All the payments come straight out of my bank account so whatever is left is mine to 'play' with - after buying food.

As for food shopping, I go to Coles or Safeway and pretty much buy whatever meat is marked down then freeze it as soon as I get home. I buy fruit and veg from my local green grocer as their pricesare cheaper and the quality is better. Go shopping once a fortnight - NO MORE than that -unless it's to get bread and milk etc. I have a 'when it's gone it's gone' policy for my kids with food, which means if they eat it all in 1 dy there's no more until I go shopping next. At first they hated it and ate the whole lot but after that they realised I was serious and space out what they eat now.

Aldi is a supermarket hun I'm so sorry to hear that you are in this situation Buying in bulk is going to save you loads. Big money items like washing powder and detergent I buy at bigW - $42 for a 15kg box of cold power which lasts me 6 mths (doing washing for 6 people too!) and just under $20 for a 4lt bottle of palmolive detergent which also lasts for well over 6mths. When doing grocery shopping, write yourself a list and stick to it! it is so important when you are on a tight budget. Also get all the supermarket catalogues and pore over them to find the specials and buy several of it if it is something you use a lot - make this your mantra; it is only a bargain if you need it. No point buying something because it's cheap if you don't really use it. start using cheaper cuts of meat - they are just as good for you and it makes your money do alot further.

With your bills, look into making direct debits each fortnight when you get your money so that at the end of each billing cycle, you have already paid in full, or very nearly your entire bill. It is much easier to cope with paying a set amount each fortnight rather than getting a bill for several hundred $$ kwim?

With the baby on the way, not sure how much you already have by way of baby stuff, but if there is anything you need, buy one item each week. Layby's are great, but you have to stick to a regular payment each week and most places only do a 2mth layby now, and that night not be enough time to pay it out, but if you buy one thing each week you have more flexibility.

Also look at going 'green' with your cleaning. There isn't much that you can't clean with bi-carb soda, regular ammonia and vinegar and it will save you tons of money on cleaning products.

HTH

Sorry, I don't have any advice to offer at the moment, but wanted to come in here and show you some support. Sorry that you are going through this.

hope u ok. As others have said contact centrink n csa!
    Organise some1 to watch the kids in emergency cases.
    i dont like meat from supermarkets, they tend to go off easier. Go to local butchers&green grocers c whether they can offer bulk discounts. not too sure abt bills etc but google simple savings, they have tips on saving money.
    cant think of anything else atm but goodluck & all the best for the rest of ur pregnancy.

i would certainly look into a charity like salvos or vinnies, when i had huge issues with my DH1 they helped me out alot , by giving me food vouchers, or food, and also paying bills, i think they will only pay electricity/gas..not phone /internet/foxtel...also most places give you money off your bills when you are a pensioner, but you have to ring and let them know, it wont happen automatially..i get money off my phone and electricity. I am on a sole parent pension and i struggle..and i have 4 kids and pay $590 per fortnight in rent....i am actaully trying to find work, as its just not enough to go around..so watch your money...but i buy things when they are on special or in bulk and buy a few to last, so even if i have heaps of bills one week i can go easy on the food shopping, as i always have a cupboard full....all the best hun

oh i forgot... i also pay my bills every fornight when i get my pension, i do internet banking, and as soon as my pension is in, i pay rent/phone/power for the fornight ( i try and work out what my bills are per fornight) and then i put another little bit away for rego/medical/swim lessons...etc...so when my bills come in i usually dont owe anything its great..and from what is left i budget for food/petrol/entertainment etc...this works so well for me
    Last edited by Cougar; June 13th, 2009 at 07:41 AM.

Find out the cheapest day for petrol and fill up on that day eg. here it is Tuesday. Never fill up on a weekend or public holiday. I also plan my errands so that I get everything done in the one car trip with the least amount of kilometres.

Supermarkets also discount items at certain times during the day. You may find that towards the weekend or end of day butchers and grocers do the same. If you have a market near you try buying fresh food from there as they will also discount massively at the end of the day.

Sorry that you are going through this.
    Even if he is being reasonable at the moment, contact CSA and put in a claim, that way you will be looked after even if he gets nasty.
    Using vinegar etc for cleaning is a great way to save as already mentioned.
    Good luck with sorting it all out!!