Thread: The person I've become..

Default The person I've become..

I don't know what to do anymore. I haven't known what to do for years.. Been trying to wing it hoping that one day everything will just be ok. Being a single parent has been hands down the hardest thing I have ever had to do.. and it's still going! DS has ADHD, and before you judgers start whinging at me saying am I sure? Is he just naughty? Maybe you need to be a better parent? Maybe he could just have food allergies? Yes I am bloody sure, I work my ass off trying to be a better parent and give DS the loving, understanding home that I never had..
    All of these issues just keep piling on top of me every single day. I've had depression or "depressive tendencies" for the past 10 years.. it all started when I was a teenager and having a baby just made it ten times harder to gain control of my own emotions, let alone help DS with his..
    Don't get me wrong, I know I am very very lucky, I have a job, I have a roof over my head, I have an amazing little boy, and we have food on the table.. But its so hard to feel lucky when everyday is such a struggle.. even getting him to put his pyjamas on is a struggle.. I feel like the only way to get him to actually complete a task is to stand there and force him to do it in front of me.. is there no other way?? please anyone who has another way pleeeeeease tell me, because I'm out of ideas.. completely out.
    Is there any kind of support group for single parents/ parents of children with ADHD..
    I'm sick of trying to find support in my parents, or a bf, or ppl at work.. no one understands what its like.. no one has the time or the patience for this kind of thing except we who are going through it everyday with no choice. I wish I had a choice, I envy people who have a choice.. but I don't have a choice. DS didn't ask to be born. DS is my responsibility.. DS needs a better mother... but I need someone to help me, because I cant do it alone anymore

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Default Re: The person I've become..

No advice but I take my hat off to you. Being a mum is hard work no question about it. The rewards are awesome too.
    Good on you for reaching out for ideas for help.

Well done you. It sounds overwhelming. Don't have much advice, but it sounds like you're doing your best, can't ask for more.

Are there any local groups or daycare options to give you some recuperation time?

Can you ask your GP or child health nurse? There must be support services available. You are doing it tough! I'm sorry I don't have anything better to offer you.

I'm sorry people ask you such insensitive questions about your son.

Have you tried LifeWithAdhd.org ? It's an online community for sufferers of adhd or people who have loved ones with adhd.