Thread: Question about BD&M/Centrelink

Default Question about BD&M/Centrelink

Hiya,
    As i cant really find too much consistent info via the net and before i get on the phone to BD&M and Centrelink. Bub is due very soon and i want to leave the fathers name as blank instead of unknown and i am financial enough to not want CS etc. Has anyone had any experience with this and the effect this has with Centrelink and CSA? And if so what did you need to provide to satisfy them enough to leave you alone?

What i can see is that each state is different so i am looking for Vic experiences to give me some idea of what to expect.

Thanks

AFAIK Centrelink will only pay you the base rate of FTB if you have not lodged a claim in with child support. I think the only ways you can get around this is if the father truly is unknown, or there is a risk to your safety by having to be in contact with him - in which case you would need to speak to a social worker.
    I don't know the rates offhand, but the base rate is considerably lower than what you would get if you did declare the father/claim for child support (depending on his income).

Thanks Ambah.

To be honest i dont really need the FTB or CS so for me that part is not that important. Its more about the hoops that BD&M/Centrelink/CSA may make me jump through with the fathers name blank on the birth cert.

It won't have 'unknown', it will be left as blank. You have 60 days until you need to register the baby so you have some time to sort things out.
    You will be required to explain to BD&M why you are witholding the fathers name. Its a legal document, and there are repercussions you may not be able to see yet.

hth

I had to write a letter saying I didn't know where the father was, this left it blank.
    Centrelink will only hassle you if you tell them you are claiming CS, if you say you aren't going to they will just pay you the base, if you are entitled, and leave it at that.

for c'link, as long as you state from the outset you will not be claiming child support there is nothing more needed. you will get nothing more than $48.30 per fn ftba this fin yr. rent assistance wont be paid.

keep in mind that this may be financially viable for you now - but FTB is payable up until your child is 25 in some circumstances, so this might be a long term impact on you. if the situation is one of violence, then an appointment with a social worker may be able to have you exempted from collecting payment, entitle you to higher payment etc. this may be something you don't wish to go through now, but keep it in mind for the future.

if you think the dad is going to say he isn't the father, you can get assistance having DNA testing done. it is the goverments requirement that BOTH parents financially contribute to the upbringing of the child, so they will withold payment to encourage you to have the father contribute

thanks for the advice - that gives me something a little more to ponder on.

Have a great Sunday.