Thread: Returning to Work

Default Returning to Work

Just Curious how you ladies that are working cope when your kids are sick and what not when your trying to do it all on your own. Need some stratergies so i can work and be there for my son without loosing a job or whatever.

rhyb Guest

I had a very understanding work Id call them and say no can do Aidens sick and that was enough for them

Currently Xp is being difficult. Had the day off but was not available cos he had to clean his house and i had to go to work.

I am just starting back at work with a 2 week role. My family is really supportive, however they all have their own commitments and theres not usually anyone available at a drop of a hat. ie today . my neighbour had my son and then her daughter got sick and needed to go to the docs( she has 2 of her own) so my brothers GF and my sister took care of him till i got home and i left work early and they were understanding.

XP just dosn't get hes digging his own grave by being demanding of time but unavailable when the opportunity is there because i gain from it.

I am going to persist with trying to work ect. i just wanna know how other ppl manage the commitment to their kids vs their job and not imposing on ppl.

I'm lucky enough that my father doesn't work and I just leave the kids with him when they are sick.

Unfortunately, in my line of work, if I'm booked I have to go to work. I can't pull out on the morning because of a sick child. (I'm a barrister).

I'd have to find someone - sister, father, friend. If that was impossible, I'd just have to take the child with me and hope against hope that another barrister could look after the child whilst I was in court.

Fortunately I haven't had that issue - Dad has always been there for me.

I also couldn't ask the ex - he was convicted last year of assaulting our 2 year old because "he was wriggling when I changed his nappy" so I have absolutely no trust in him being able to look after a sick child at all.

GOod luck - if you're a member of a church, getting to know some of the old duckies is a great idea, they might be able to help out last minute for a few hours if absolutely necessary.

Is there any work that you could do from home? Your work may be a little more understanding/compassionate if there is a bit of work you could do from home while your little one is sick, if that is something you could discuss with them?

I have a 3 day a week job & my son goes to day care those days. I've been back at work for 8 months. So far I've only had to take a couple of days off due to him being ill as my parents helped out on one occasion. My ex has never looked after him when he's sick. It's worked pretty well so far.