Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rings..

Default The rings..

My engagement & wedding rings. I was going to keep them for my 2 older girls, but I'm not so sure I will now.
    I'm thinking of selling them to help fund our holiday back home. Problem is I'm still so in love with them! Not with the meaning of them, but they are such pretty rings & I really don't know if I can part with them, just for that reason

There's really no point keeping them when I know I'm never even going to put them on again is there?

on a journey called life, finding our way home

why have you decided not to give them to your children? I think that is a really lovely thing to do.
    I think its a bit sad to sell them just for a holiday but thats just me

what about getting them melted down and made into something else? earrings/pendant etc?

I would save them for your girls. My mum gave me hers.

I would save them. I have been given my nana's engagement ring and my mum's wedding ring from her and dad being together - she changed it though cos it was just the band, and she got it made into another ring, and its so pretty, I love it. (Note to self - find the freaking ring and wear it!)

I still have the wedding band from my first marriage, I'm not sure what to do with it, I sold my engagement ring to a friend when we first split, but I never did anything with the wedding band - now I'm wondering what to do, cos we didn't have children together...

Quote Originally Posted by foreva*your*mummy View Post
    why have you decided not to give them to your children? I think that is a really lovely thing to do.
    I think its a bit sad to sell them just for a holiday but thats just me
    Honestly, it was the type of relationship where you really hope you will never see that person ever again. Its not really just about a holiday, I'm struggling to raise 4 kids alone with no help at all from their father, not even CSA that I am entitled too. The holiday isn't just about a holiday, its taking my kids back to the other side of the country to see all their friends & family that we left behind & to spend time with their father. Again, with no help from him to do so. He's even telling me he doesn't want to see them, so who knows if that'll happen.

I don't mind keeping them for the girls, but I'm also wondering whats more important? A piece of metal & a few rocks, or spending time with their father & family.

I still don't think I could wear them if I had them made into something else. The idea makes me feel sick

Quote Originally Posted by ~clover~ View Post
    I still don't think I could wear them if I had them made into something else. The idea makes me feel sick
    that's fair enough hun

if the jewellery has bad connotations for you then i think you should sell them and put the money toward anything to make life easier for you and your babes. no point holding onto something that's got negative energy attached to it. - just my opinion

Sell em. i was thinking of keeping them for my kids as well but in all honesty I just don't think its worth it. I cant put into words exactly/properly why but my marriage was crap and I dont need to hang on memories of crap. All they need to know that they were the best things that came out of my marriage and thats it... dont need to representation of that.. just look in the mirror kiddies

I would have sold mine if I could have, and infact I plan to in the future when I can. My rings were my grandmas wedding and engagements rings. I would keep them for that reason but they arn't even my grandmas originals. They are her 3rd or 4th replacements and she has gone on to replace them a few more time. They are valued at over 5k so the money (even 1/3 of that would come in handy)

sell them.

In your situation I would only keep them if they were passed down for a couple of generations from family. Otherwise I would sell them.

on a journey called life, finding our way home

Quote Originally Posted by ~clover~ View Post
    Honestly, it was the type of relationship where you really hope you will never see that person ever again. Its not really just about a holiday, I'm struggling to raise 4 kids alone with no help at all from their father, not even CSA that I am entitled too. The holiday isn't just about a holiday, its taking my kids back to the other side of the country to see all their friends & family that we left behind & to spend time with their father. Again, with no help from him to do so. He's even telling me he doesn't want to see them, so who knows if that'll happen.

I don't mind keeping them for the girls, but I'm also wondering whats more important? A piece of metal & a few rocks, or spending time with their father & family.

That is really sad, in the end you have to decide what feels right for you. If selling them is what you need to do there is no shame in that. I cant imagine what it would be like rasing 4 kids alone. If you need the money you do what you have too to get by.

I gave DD's father my engagement ring back, he then sold it for 10% of its value to fund a carton of smokes.

I have my grandmothers wedding ring and supposed to get my nanna's engagement ring but my father has "lost" it

I think it's nice to pass them down to your daughters but really will they want them? Their father doesn't support them at the moment so they may resent him and them later in life.

Sell them. Enjoy your holiday. Better than travelling to Mordor to throw them into the pit of doom where they belong, that way your travelling expenses won't even be paid and it is quite a perilous trip.

FWIW, I would rather my mother sold her jewellery than gave me a reminder of the abuse she suffered while trying to live with my father.

I think you may as well sell them. If they don't bring you any good feelings why would they make your daughters feel good?
    Don't feel like you have to spend the money taking your children to visit their father. Would it be better spent on educational expenses? A holiday you really want to take? A high yield savings account?

Sell them and spend the money on something for YOU!
    You bloody earned it.
    Do something for your self hun.

I'm kinda superstitious and unless it was from a happy relationship I wouldn't pass them on to anybody but the pawn shop

------------------------
    unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. its not.
    Dr Seuss

The holiday is for me too. Its only a week out of about 6 the kids will be with their dad. I don't care if he see's them or not (though I do for them). Its for me & the kids. The amount I'd get wouldn't even cover an 8th of the trip, but will add to the spending money

At the same time though, the kids really don't know what their father is doing & its not something I really want them to know, though I have hinted to DD1. So I still may just keep them for the girls. At some point they may let me know if they want them or not. The rings might feel wrong for me to have, but I'm not sure it is ok to sell them. Thats why I asked.

I might give it a few more months & see what happens. See if anything changes.

I'd sell them.

While the idea of handing them down to your Daughters sound lovely, I don't think the rings themselves would represent much to them either except a failed marriage to their father.

Personally I don't think I'd like to wear a ring with such negative energy attached to it.

Go on your holiday and have great time!

I'd sell them too. Normally I would say giving them to your girls is the right thing to do but from what you've said its highly unlikely they'll have a relationship with him so no sentimental value for them. My mum sold hers to pay the electricity, but I would never want anything associated with him anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast