Thread: Self represented in Family matter in FMC - LAWYERS? Paralegals? HELP!

Default Self represented in Family matter in FMC - LAWYERS? Paralegals? HELP!

Hi all

I'm appearing in the Federal Magistrates Court tomorrow for the initial hearing of my interim and final orders pertaining to the parental responsibility of my 4 year old son.

I'm just after some advice on what to do in court - I initiated the proceedings and he has not responded (legally, he has called me telling me I should be shot, and also that it's "none of my business what he's doing in court") but he has not lodged a response. I served him via email as per his request first, and subsequently by hand so he could not use the excuse he wasn't served properly. I have no idea if he has had any legal advice or will show up represented tomorrow, if at all.

I just honestly don't know how to start once my name is called and the magistrate asks what we're there for? I have attended the same initial hearing process with my partner being self represented, but his ex-partner had a lawyer and was somewhat led by her and the magistrate.

Should I just strop stressing and take direction? I'm well spoken and know what I'm asking for but I just don't know how to sum up a 21 page affidavit and 35 orders into a paragraph, and I'm terrified of making a fool of myself.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, and am happy to give more details!!

I have no idea hun but best of luck tomorrow...call me when you're done and let me know how you go x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

The courts are pretty used to people representing themselves, and provided you are polite you will generally be given a lot of help when it comes to your turn. At least that's the case in WA and I can't imagine it will be different anywhere else. Make sure you have notes for yourself - no matter how prepared you think you are, it can be daunting appearing in a court environment and notes can make sure you don't forget something important.

Good luck.

How did you go?

We ended up with some interim orders after a full days negotiation with duty lawyers, and the FM was really lovely, so we have these orders as a trial and we go back for Final Orders and to work out schooling on December 12. Also a family report has been ordered to see if the arrangments are working or if they need to be altered.

Not scared anymore she was very very helpful.