Thread: single parenting by choice

chickadee82 Guest

Default single parenting by choice

i'm divocred and really not wanting to be in a serious relationship for a long time if ever again. my life is as i want it to be; i'm financially set, i have house etc etc. however i really would like to have another child and i'm begining to think i would like to do it on my own. really when you think about it i've already done it with raising my son. am i alone in thinking this? is there anyone in the same boat?

Hi, I am not in your boat but I understand where you are coming from. XH and I got together when I was 28 and already divorced with no kids. Still young, of course, but I always knew in my heart that even if I never found anyone else, I would still want to have a baby or two. I know now that I probably wouldn't have coped really well with a newborn by myself, but you already know the realities of having a newborn and if you really want another baby, why not do it on your own?? A child with a happy mother is way better off than a baby with 2 miserable parents.

Hey Mrs Muddle
    I'm 24 and currently trying to concieve on my own, using donor sperm. I've wanted kids for years and I'm too high-maintenance for a partner . There's a great website called SMC Australia, just Google it and it's specifically for Solo Mums by Choice - the forums are full of friendly ladies in our exact situation... I skip between that and Bellybelly depending how specific the advice I want to get!
    Whether you've thought about how-to's and stuff or not there's plenty of info on both this site and SMC. Also legal considerations and stuff. Hope that helps

I used to think that being a single parent by choice was a really selfish thing to do and felt sorry for children of those mothers. BUT thta was when i was young and niave and thought the world was a Disney movie LOL! Now I have had a rather large taste of reality I think being a single mum by choice3 is just as greta as being a married mum by choice. You go girls, if want bubbas then you have them!

I have a gf who is a single Mum to 1 and is desperate to have another bub. I support her a hundred percent in her choice. I hope it can happen for her

TBH, I think the early baby days can be very very hard. I'm single too, but Dp stayed around and helped out for the first few months (until I kicked him out again!), I wouldn't want to do that totally on my own.

I did the first four months on my own when i had izzy, and it was suprisingly izzy... when its something you have to do you just do it... But then again am really glad me and DF finally got our s**t together and he's around for this one...

But i say if you want to have another baby on your own, go for it... like someone said early one happy mum is far better then two fighting parents

If you are sure you wan to do it go ahead

But i personally wouldnt, I am single mum to 3 and its extremly hard work. i think its unfair on the girls alot too cause i get to the end of my teather by the end of the day. And there is no one to come home from work to even help me at all. The thing is i could be so so sick and i still have to pull myself out of bed every morning. Its so much easier to get a baby sitter and help when its only one child as well.

But good luck with what ever decision you make.