Thread: We all know single parenting can be tough, but are there positives?

Default We all know single parenting can be tough, but are there positives?

So we all know single parenting can be tough, but I am hoping to hear some positives to lift my spirits and show me there is light.

I'm 21weeks pregnant with my first baby girl (don't know all these acronyms y'all use?) and i'm a positive person by nature, I try to find the good, but lets face it, being single and pregnant can be lonely and scary.

Does anyone have any good experiences they can share about being a single mummy (or daddy)? Is it possible to feel whole and genuinely happy and content again? Does that hurt and abandonment ever go away?

rhyb Guest

Well Im a single mummy to 15 month old Aiden and Im 20 weeks pregnant with triplet girls and you know what? I like being a single mum. The bond Aiden and I have is amazing and I dont have the constant fighting in our lives that it was with XP and I. Were happier, have better routine, better communication and best of all Im not argueing all the time to do anything with Aiden.

I chose to fall pregnant as a single, although with the live-in support of my mum. I reckon there are HEAPS of positives - You don't have to argue about names, parenting styles, what you want to do that day... You don't have to cook and clean for someone else or feel guilty for not doing it and just taking time to enjoy your little one

Default Positives

Hello! I am 30 weeks pg. with DS and although I am not an active parent at the moment, I think that when each time I look at DS that I will feel overwhelming love for him. Although I anticipate being a single parent will be difficult, I have the support of my family and I know that the decision I made to bring DS into the world despite a short-term relationship was the right decision. I know I am experiencing difficulty with XP but I hope that once XP and family meet DS that they will feel the same way that I feel! I am so happy that my life is becoming something more, I will be a parent to a beautiful child and that would be the most positive and rewarding experience in my life despite whatever challenges may present themselves. Try to view the positive before viewing the negative - I should have put this into practice a long time ago. Congratulations on DD (Dear Daughter)

Default For Shades

Shades, what an amazing choice you have made to have a child on your own! Best of luck and it sounds like you are ready to be a mummy! You certainly did highlight all the positives of being a single parent!

Ooh warm fuzzy feelings - thanks CobaltBlue

the positives for me are that I dont have to feel angry all the time because DH wont be a decent father, I dont have to argue about different parenting styles, I get to co sleep with DS without arguement from his father, I get sontrol of the money in the household, Im sure there are more but i cant think of them just now. OH, every once in a while I get some child free days when Archies Dad has him.

rhyb Guest

Oh and I dont have to organise 2 children anymore just DS

Default No DP

Oh and my happiness is no longer dependant on XP being happy or playing mummy to XP or having to put up with XP's selfishness. . . Cause I miss XP but better off

Lovely to hear these positives to single parenting! I already completely love being a Mum, and feel so proud of my beautiful wee DD, but I just hope I am enough for her, and that I can be strong.
    I hope the lonliness doesn't hang around for much longer though. I sent XP an email last night asking him to be clear on whether he thinks we have a future. Not sure whether I should have done that, but it might atleast give me some closure.

hey hun i am a single mum, its not easy but its a hell of a lot easier than living with my XP(ex-partner) who has been diagnosed with bipolar and was abusive, i dont have to 'report' to anyone anymore, can choose my own parenting styles/routines, only hard thing ive found so far is when i and DD were both sick and i had nobody to help, lucky i live with housemates who have a DD too so they helped out...although if i was still with XP he wouldnt have helped either, but im sure with a supportive partner it wouldve been alot easier. but all in all i enjoy it! and remember if your XP puts his name as 'father' on the birth cert ur entitled to child support, and of course you will get good benefits from centrelink if ur a single mum. GL hun!! (good luck )