Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what did you do with your rings?

Default what did you do with your rings?

hock them?
    they no longer have any sentimental value, and theyre really not worth that much.
    I just want them out of my house.

Do whatever you feel you need to. I kept mine to give to dd when she's older.

I think if I'd had a daughter, I might do that. But I dont think the boys would appreciate it in the same way. :/

DH has given his 'other' ring to his daughter..... thinks DSD would like to have the memory of her parents being together one day..... I think it's a bit weird... but hey.... maybe it my issue and not theirs.

I agree with Tinks though... if you need to sell them, go for it.... no use letting them sit at home somewhere bugging you

I was really mean & returned an engagement ring to my x "anonymously" on valentines day! I broke it off.

Gees I was (am) a *****!

My mum gave me hers a couple of years ago when I had my eternity/30th/finished my PhD ring (it was a busy time!!) made. I used the gold as part of my ring. Saved me a few hundred dollars but it was the sentiment ie that it came from her (not my birth father who is an a-hole) that I loved.
    She divorced when I was 2 so obviously had them sitting in a drawer for a while!!

Quote Originally Posted by *Efjay* View Post
    I was really mean & returned an engagement ring to my x "anonymously" on valentines day! I broke it off.

Gees I was (am) a *****!
    if he had bought or paid for either of them, Id probably do that. But I paid for them, and for his, which he lost while ****ed at the pub.

I have both mine & ex's. I'm planning to keep them for the kids. I don't know that really means. There are 3 rings & 4 kids. I think I'll give his to DS. On a chain or something, in high school He's the only boy & he is the only one having trouble with the situation.

I guess the older girls will get the other ones. I also have a gold nugget on a chain from my pop. I may choose that for whoever is left over. All have sentimental value.

I've no feelings either way. I stopped wearing my rings 2 years ago. It has nothing to do with us being together, but more about something small that came from both of us. We have nothing else together of meaning that we can pass down. Not even land/property. By the time we are gone there may be plenty of that, but not from us together IYKWIM.
    Last edited by ~clover~; May 10th, 2012 at 12:42 AM.

Default what did you do with your rings?

In Melbourne the shopping centres have the gold buying little stands where they weigh the items give you a price there and then and you can get instant cash, I have done this with old bracelets etc. not sure what to do though if you have diamonds. There are also lots of online gold buying that send you free express post envelopes so you don't have to physically go to the shops

hope your ok huni. my dad has given his ring to my brother, mums given hers to my sis i think. x

I threw it out. Literally was sobbing/crying driving one day saw that I still was wearing my ring, grabbed it and threw it out the window... Did the same to my necklace he brought.

Cat xox

No advice hun, but just wanted to give you a hug

They were talking about this on the radio yesterday which made me think about it. I think for me it owuld depend on 'why' we split. If it was because of cheating them it would have been hocked off, if it was just because we grew apart I would keep them for my children as the would have once represented a happy time.

YOu udo what you feel is right for you.

My mum lost hers!! She was keeping it for me and hid the diamond ring somewhere "safe" and forgot where - she has moved house since then so it's gone forever So I don't advise doing that!

When xDH and I split and after DP and I got together, DP and I sold our rings and put the money into something for our new house together.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

You could sell them and spend the money on something you'll value. Whether that's shoes, wine, something for the kids or a divorce party - there's lots of options.

You could bury them, throw them in the ocean or something similar in a kind of removing him from your life ritual. It may be the rings could represent what went wrong, such as being controlled, accepting X kind of behaviour or whatever. By removing them, you can say that negative behaviour is going with them.

I know my DH hocked his not long before we met. Mum gave me her engagement ring, but I've never felt comfortable wearing it as, for me, it's a symbol of things going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsandBears View Post
    It may be the rings could represent what went wrong, such as being controlled, accepting X kind of behaviour or whatever. By removing them, you can say that negative behaviour is going with them.
    That's exactly it. I'm doing pretty well, it was my decision and well overdue.

I'm taking them to mums tonight until I know what to do but honestly, I'd be lucky to get $100 between them.

I guess I could buy a bottle or two of Jameson lol.

I offered to give mine back but he didn't want them so I melted them down and had them combined to make a dress ring...........though it's now sitting in a drawer somewhere in the house.

Is it nasty to say that sometimes I wish I would lose it so I could use the insurance money to buy something I really want and like?

After I shredded my wedding dress (it was therapeutic) my mum took my engagement ring for safe keeping. Three of the four diamonds in it were my great grandmothers (my dad gave them to ex-h when he asked to marry me) so mum was afraid I would do something horrible to them.

I've never asked her where it is or thought too much about it. I'll have those three diamonds made into a pendant or something for my daughter one day, seeing as they are apart of my family history IYKWIM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast