Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared Ill Rupture...

Question Scared Ill Rupture...

DH and I will be TTC early next year, and Im trying to get my head around what happened last time (emerg C sect as Bella was stuck) and how I would like to achieve my VBAC.

However I keep having dreams that I am pregnant and that I have ruptured and I loose the bub.

I know that there is a risk involved in a VBAC but I am trying to look into the positives and not defeate and sabotage myself before I even begin!

Any VBAC stats or experiances would be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks

Kate xox

You can have a VBAC! The risk of rupture is very small and the risk is very similar to that of a first time mum who has been induced. There are heaps of links to VBAC sites in the VBAC forum which have all the stats.

The stats are out there babe - 0.7% (i think from memory) of rupture. That means you have a 99.3% chance of NOTHING happening. Pretty good odds I thought. Even with my VBA2C, its only 0.9% of something happening - still good odds.

At the end of the day, nobody can tell you what you should do, just do a hell of a lot of reading - "Silent Knife" is a good choice

There are risks for a second c-section though, so read up on that. I had a terrible infection after my second c-section and I was laid up for about a month, with a newborn and a toddler to take care of - not nice.

Every way of birthing has its risks, its up to you to weigh them up and see which way you way to go.

But you know, even if you DID rupture, the chance of getting bubs out safe is still good - its when you have something like an epidural that messes things up a bit, and is dangerous cos its hard for you to feel what your body is doing. Be in sync with what your body is telling you and you should be ok.

Hey
    I had my VBAC in July...DD2 was 10lb8, all went fine, no rupture here!

The risk of rupture is very low, I think (top of my head) 2% or something? and the risk of losing bub is a very small % of that, so very very low overall.

I will confess to being a bit worried...especially during labour when all my pain was low down in front. I seemed to remember it being higher with my other labours
    But I had a good midwife, I was monitored, and overall VBAC is a safer option than repeat CS .

If you can, get hold of your records. Do you know what kind of scar you had? How your incision was closed?
    Knowledge is power & I find the more I know, the better I feel.
    Read lots, read the VBAC stories here, get a supportive Dr if you're going private (I was public & very lucky to have a very supportive Dr), ask lots of questions.
    You will feel better about it and in the end whatever decision you make will be an informed one.

good luck with your decision

ETA - ok my stats are a bit higher than Mel's! but I think they include scar separation, which really isn't full rupture. If you are given stats by a Dr or other HCW, check what the stats are for - if they include separation the risk can look deceptively high ITMS.

Thanks ladies!

I KNOW I can do it - its just getting the mind to believe it and not think of the negatives all the time.

Ill look into the Silent knife - worth a read!

Im going to try and look up some info on the net - hope it desnt ened in disaster!!

Kate

Kelly has posted some good stats in here somewhere - will go have a look for you.

ETA - there is STACKS of info in this section, start here before you go into the scary networld!

I agree with Lulu. Read the info and links here first. Great positivie info from good sources. Silent knife is great.

Like Mel said, there will always be risks - it's just how you view them that matters, and a rupture doesn't always end badly either. Trust me I know

Thanks Lulu - have been reading and reading!!

Kim - Yes! And im so very glad they dont always end badly!!

Hey Mel - maybe you can practise being a doula on me!!

Haha - are you thinking of moving to Tassie?

Hey Sweets, I have a copy of Silent Knife I can borrow you if you like

Hi!
    You've already had some really great replies I especially like the 99.3% that nothing will happen quote

I had a VBA2C in March this year I had days during my pregnancy when I knew I could do it and days when I was wondering what on earth I was thinking

There are heaps of great websites out there but I'd like to reccomend plus size pregnancy. It is a website designed for larger women but there is HEAPS of fantastic studies, stats and info on VBAC..... all this info is for women of ALL sizes I also especially liked the birthrites website

I really think the MOST important thing (that got me my VBAC) was the people that are around u! I included my hubby in my research (simplified everything as he isn't into stats.... he just needed to know what was better and not so good) so when the OB was talking induction he (hubby) was saying NO no no no no untill our OB CONVINCED us that it was what was needed for the safety of me and my baby. And I believe we made the right choice!
    Its the people around u that are your cheersquad, they are the ones who believe in you even when u don't believe in yourself. They question your negativity and support and encourage u in what u want! I didn't get this from my extended family (espeically my mum) so I hired an Independant Midwife. I would highly reccomend an IM!!! They can give u medical advise, something a doula can't do. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for doulas (Go u wonderful women!) but I personally wanted someone who was educated and able to give me medical advice.... Next time it might be nice to have a doula and my midwife

Goodluck with your journey!!

I hope this helps to stop your dreams

Vaginal Birth a Safe Option After Multiple C-Sections

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:08 am (PST)
    Dr Landon will be speaking at the ICAN Conference

Syracuse (NY) Sheraton University Hotel & Conference Center
    April 20-22, 2007
    Latest News
    Vaginal Birth a Safe Option After Multiple C-Sections Posted 9/12/2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Very few, if any, obstetric topics have raised more discussion and controversy in the past several years than VBAC, or vaginal birth after cesarean section. Most studies on this subject have come from small, single institutions or have relied on birth certificate data with all of its inherent inaccuracies.

Mark Landon, M.D.

In his most recent analysis of multicenter data collected over four years, Dr. Mark Landon evaluated the risk of complication and success of VBAC in women who had undergone more than one prior cesarean.
    The 19-academic center study was led by Landon and conducted through the National Institutes of Health, Maternal Fetal Medicine Units Network. Its data included more than 45,000 patients with previous cesarean section, which included almost 18,000 women undergoing a trial of labor or an attempt at VBAC.
    "This was the first large study of VBAC in which certain outcomes, such as uterine rupture, were studied prospectively,
    " notes Landon, who serves as vice chairman of obstetrics and gynecology at the Ohio State University Medical Center.
    Landon found that the risk of uterine rupture was 0.9 percent in cases of women with a history of multiple prior cesarean undergoing a trial of labor, compared with 0.7 percent in the cases of patients who had experienced only one previous cesarean. These data challenge the notion that women with more than one prior cesarean are at dramatically increased risk for uterine rupture with a VBAC attempt.
    "We looked at the outcomes associated with uterine rupture, including catastrophic outcomes such as stillbirth, or hypoxic brain injury to the baby," says Landon. "And the good news is that the vast majority of uterine ruptures fortunately are associated with healthy infants. The absolute risk of catastrophic rupture with poor outcome is, in fact, quite small."
    Landon's study confirms that uterine rupture is the complication with the greatest risk attributable to trial of labor; however, it also shows the risk for uterine rupture is not significantly increased in women with multiple prior cesarean compared to a single prior operation.
    "The study has confirmed that the majority of women with multiple prior cesarean undergoing trial of labor can expect to achieve a successful vaginal birth," says Landon, whose findings were published recently in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology.
    The benefits of VBAC include a faster recovery time and avoidance of the operative risks of cesarean section, which is a major operation.
    "Beyond these obvious benefits, there seems to be a component that is not completely tangible," notes Landon. "It goes along with the experience of vaginal childbirth, which certain women value, and there is probably not a price that you could put on that for a certain subgroup of women."
    Each case should be individualized, says Landon, in terms of the risks involved, the likelihood of success of VBAC, and the individual woman's desire to proceed with attempted vaginal vs. cesarean section. "Future childbearing plans are important, since the risk of cesarean complications rises dramatically after three operations," according to Landon.
    Landon advises that women should carefully research the topic of VBAC, looking for a physician who is willing to share data in an unbiased manner, who supports the concept of VBAC provided that a woman is an appropriate candidate, and who is willing to evaluate each case individually.
    "About two-thirds of women who have had a previous cesarean are actually candidates for VBAC," says Landon. "VBAC after multiple cesarean sections should remain an option for eligible women."
    The Ohio State University Medical Center has consistently been named one of America's best hospitals by U.S. News & World Report magazine with nine specialty programs being listed as among the country's best in the most recent edition. Also, 173 faculty members are included in the most recent edition of the nationally acclaimed directory, "Best Doctors in America."

I also have a couple of booklets about CS if you would like me to email them to you. One is from Birthrites called Caesarean Birth Making informed Choice. The other is called What every pregnant woman needs to know about Caesarean section.

Wow! Thanks Allan! Given me lots of food for thought!!

oooooo Alan can you email me them aswell???

What is your email address

Hi there,

I've been researching for my VBA2C and thought i'd share the following:

The booklet 'What every pregnant woman needs to know about Caesarean section' is readily available on the internet at http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...eanbooklet.pdf.

I have also read a study that was published in the British Journal of Obs & Gynae in Sept 2009 which looked at more than 20 recent studies encompassing more than 5,500 going for VBA2C and the overall statistic for rupture after 2 c-sections was around 1.3% but they acknowledge that the definition of rupture in some studies includes dehissence or separation which need not be a problem and there's a wide range of what rupture actually means.

This therefore means there's more than 98% chance that it WON'T happen. Learning to have faith that you and your body are strong and healed is a big part of the challenge!

Silent Knife is a great book to read and re-read.

Best of luck with your planning!

As Kim said - it doesn't always end badly even if you do rupture (trust me I know too http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ival-long.html ).

Go with your instincts and you will do wonderfully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast