Thread: Motivation triggers

Default Motivation triggers

What do you do to motivate you in your life?

Do you listen to inspirational music, or talks? Do you read motivational books? Are you on a special diet with motivational food? (I don't know if there is such a thing, but there might be!! ) Do you exercise? What kind of exercise? Meditate?

I'm feeling a bit stagnant atm, kind of marking time until the next big event (baby due in May) but I hate feeling like this. And the thing is I am struggling to get myself out of the rut!

So I am interested in hearing what others do....

I think it's great that you are searching for something to extend yourself my love.

I meditate - usually twice a day but sometimes just once - depending on children and if I wake before them or not.

I read a lot... There is a thread about Byron katie - I've read all of her work and I also have been very deeply interested in Buddhist philosophy - not so much the religious aspect but definitely the principle of mindfulness & compassion.
    At the moment I am reading the 4 agreements which I am loving.

I follow the seasons and the moon - and am very akin to Wicca - which is a very natural religion & it appeals to me.

Mmm - I bake - that might sound wierd in this thread but for me it is a really relaxing and wholesome thing to do. To choose high quality , healthful (but not always!) ingredients and create something - I find that motivating...

I make a point every day of putting my feet on the grass and my hands to the sky - just to honour the Earth and the Heavens... (now I sound wierd huh?! )

This year I purchased a gratitude diary - each day I record something that I am grateful for - it's been fabulous so far - grounding.

I listen to calming (for me) chants and music - I find that important.

I aim to find something good in everything. In everything there is a silver lining - a reason to be grateful. It helps to carry me through the hard times.

This year I am taking a photograph every day of something that is replicate of that day. The 1st it was my friend and her son who left for their car trip home. The next it was my Immy sleeping in her cot... etc etc So at the end of the year I will have a photo for every day... I like the sound of that!

I am sure there is more..

Thanks Inanna - no I don't think you sound weird!! I think it sounds very normal and fulfilling, you have a number of passions and although they can be very different to each other they are what make up the unique you!

I love the photo idea! Might have to nick that one or at least attempt something like it. Because I know me and i get easily distracted!!

I write down my goals, ideas, desires and dreams, and then make a plan to make them happen. I also like taking the time to listen to music and read - I find both push my thinking outside myself and my daily life, and into new realms.

I have a list a million miles long of things I'd like to do if I ever get free time: scrapbooking or making some photo albums; clean out the cupboards & having an ebay sale; gardening; catch up with friends I don't have enough time for; update my CD collection; research (relating to work or child development or parenting); update my wardrobe; learn how to sew; do some pilates; bake or try out a new dinner recipe; read old letters from my nan; do some creative writing; wash the walls; write a letter or email to a loved one; write a letter to my children they can read when they're grown up about how much I love them, their little habits, my hopes, fears and dreams for them; strip back and restain some furniture; lie down and read a book; rent & watch some DVDs; lie down & listen to some music.

So on and so forth.. unfortunately I don't have much time for any of this right now but I hope to enjoy some spare moments for these activities sometime soon.

Maybe you can write yourself out a list of things you'd like to do before you become a mum of two (and won't have time to scratch yourself, lol).. and start working on it every time you feel bored or stagnent.

I try and surround myself with like-minded people. I read a lot of non fiction, at the moment anytihng I can get my hands on by Dr John Demartini. I also see a lady once a week for Reiki and hypnotherapy and I don't know where i'd be without her, although i've been very lucky with regards to payment and it's not costing me an arm and a leg!

I also have a gratitude diary and I write down every motivational statement that means something to me in a document called NOW and I try and use one as a status update on FB at least once a day.

Most of the time I get "what the bloody hell are you on about again Rach" but sometimes I get a "thanks, I really needed to hear that" and it makes me feel so good!