Thread: What's the difference between a club and an association?

Default What's the difference between a club and an association?

The Man wants to start a group for 4wding, and has left it up to me to research, start, maintain, etc, etc.... (Yeah, thanks! )

I am trying to figure out what the difference is between a club, and an association, and which would be the better avenue for us to go down. The Man says he only knows we have to be a club to become a member of 4wd Victoria (which I think is an association that 4wd clubs can join). Now, if we were an association, would we be able to join?

The only thing that I could find about the difference is from an American motorcycle site:

What is the difference between a motorcycle club and a motorcycle association?

There are three types of organizations. First, there are motorcycle clubs, or MCs.. Motorcycle clubs are a fraternity-style groups in which there is an extended probationary period in which you get to know the members and the members get to know you. Probationary members can't wear the full patch on the back of their vest or coat but are expected to attend various club events, help out with club business and learn the traditions and history of the club before the members vote to accept them into full membership in the club..

More informal groups are called riding clubs, or RCs, such as the American Legion Riders. Such organizations don't require a probationary period, and a person can join relatively easily. It's more of a group of people getting together to ride for a common cause. Many of these clubs require interested individuals to have a common background or quality, such as prior military service or own a specific type of motorcycle, in order to join.

The final type, an association, involves larger organizations such as the Old Guard Riders, Patriot Guard Riders or Rolling Thunder. Such groups are not clubs per se and membership is open to anyone. These groups do not require the prospective member to own or ride a motorcycle at all in order to join. A willingness to become involved in the association's cause is all that is generally required.
    I know its for motorcycles, but I wouldn't think that for 4wds it would be much different.

Any information or directions to go in would be much appreciated. I have looked on Consumer Affairs website (Vic) and their links for WA government pages no longer hold any information, so I really don't know where to look. Thanks in advance!

Hmm I have no idea. We were involved in car clubs when I was a kid. All the members had to own this particular kind of car, no others were accepted.

So I'm guessing that a club has a more restricted membership whereas with an association people can join if they have an interest in that particular area.

For example, a 4x4 club would require you to own a 4x4 and an association would require you to have a keen interest.

Ooooh ooh Netix I will send the Bear in he knows all about this kind of stuff as he has set up a couple of websites for car enthusiasts. He is also into 4wding maybe we can get him and the Man to talk to each other about it!

Thanks guys!

I love your enthusiasm Pixie! Your DH can talk to me about the club/association side of things, and talk dirty with the Man. Hmmm... you know what I mean...

You'll find it easiest to operate as a club - the 4wd association organises insurance and legal protection for clubs, which would be difficult to apply to an association structure.

The constitution for the club can contain anything that you want, although you can find generic templates online that meet the requirements of the fair trading legislation in your state.

Write a constitution, hold an Initial General Meeting to kick things off and you are off and running....

Thanks! Thought a club could be the way to go, but wasn't sure. If I don't have to worry about insurance, I'll be happy! Thanks again, I might have more questions for you Bear.