thread: New recommended age for starting solids

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    Just Coasting

New recommended age for starting solids

Now, I haven't done any research on this myself but we had our postnatal paediatrician appointment last week and I was surprised to be told that he now recommends solids be introduced at 3-4 months!

This was very interesting considering the 6 month rule that was drummed into me when DD was born 3 years go, but apparently the 6 month rule co-incided with a big increase in children developing food allergies/intolerances, and the paed said that introducing solids earlier will actually help reduce the incidences of such allergies.

As you can imagine, when I told my nan this, she was like "I told you so"

Maybe everyone already knows this new recommendation, but I didn't so I thought I'd post

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2004
    Cairns QLD

Isn't going to change my thoughts on it.
    Thats just one peads opinion really. Ask your MCHN & she will probably tell you something different too.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

i doubt its a WHO recommended change, stick with the 6 months

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    Just Coasting

I doubt its a WHO recommended change, stick with the 6 months
    Very true but will be interresting to see if the WHO guidelines evolve over time. I guess we are always learning so things are never set in stone. This is only very new. I had the same paed 3 years ago and back then it was 6 months.
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; October 18th, 2010 at 07:34 AM.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

Hmm it's always changing, i say stick with the WHO guidelines or go with whatever YOUR comfortable with.
    would be interesting to see if your MCHN had heard the same.

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

probably the opinion of one employee from a baby food producing company who had a marketing appointment with a paediatrician somewhere one day who mentioned something along the lines of 4 months and then it spread like wildfire - or maybe it was mentioned at a paediatric conference that was in some way sponsored by a baby food producing company - or maybe even an artificial baby milk producing company.

An MCHN will likely have gone to a different conference or had a visit from a different company rep so will likely tell something different.

Apologies if I sound jaded by the whole thing but I have seen and heard one too many a story to believe any paed or MCHN now... I stick with the WHO recommendations and they still stand at 6 months.

Oct 2008

Interesting.

I am very quickly learning though, that my baby will decide when she's ready. There can be all the guidelines in the world for me, she's 6 months and 1 week old and still isn't really feeling solids at all!! The guidelines are out the window!!

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    In beautiful chaos!

Im sorry but thats terrible! A baby! Breastmilk is all they need for a long time (not always achieveable, I know). How will their little insides be effected by this young age

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    Just Coasting

Interesting.

I am very quickly learning though, that my baby will decide when she's ready. There can be all the guidelines in the world for me, she's 6 months and 1 week old and still isn't really feeling solids at all!! The guidelines are out the window!!
    I like it MummaSue! All bubs are diferent

Oct 2008

I like it MummaSue! All bubs are diferent
    Hehe, they sure are! Mine is like no other I have met!

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    Just Coasting

I would be interrested in finding out more about the correlation between the 6 month rule and the increase in food allergies, before making my decision.

And yes Dedicated_mummy unfortunately breastfeeding isn't always possible. I have medically diagnosed hypoplasia (a rare minority I know) and if I had have refused supplimenting my son with formula he would have become very ill indeed.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    USA

Starting solids at 3 months, 4 months at the latest???! Sounds crazy to me. I thought the changes to allergy recommendations were about not delaying allergy-risk foods as it was found that this delay was possibly causing issues... but not in terms of the age you delay starting solids. Baby bodies being ready to digest solids at all is a matter aside from allergies. 3 months sounds far too young to me.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2009

Wow neither of my 2 would eat at that age - they were both 6 months plus when they were interested! I wonder if it is personal ideas rather than evidence based research???

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    Just Coasting

I wonder if it is personal ideas rather than evidence based research???
    I don't think so Mak because he used to go by the 6 month rule too. i guess at the end of the day it's all about when baby is ready

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2007
    Sydney

The ASCIA (Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy) published their new infant feeding guidelines last year. There were a some significant points:

- Solid foods should not be introduced before 4 months.
    - There are no particular allergenic foods that need to be avoided.
    - There have been some suggestions that delaying introduction of foods may actually increase (rather than decrease) allergy, however at this stage this is not proven.
    - There is insufficient evidence to support previous advice to specifically delay or avoid potentially allergenic foods (such as egg, peanuts, nuts, wheat, cow's milk and fish) for the prevention of food allergy or eczema. This also applies to infants with siblings who already have allergies to these foods.
    - From 4-6 months, when your child is ready, consider introducing a new food every 2-3 days according to what the family usually eats (regardless of whether the food is thought to be highly allergenic).
    - Exclusion of allergenic foods from the maternal diet has not been shown to prevent allergies.
    Here’s the web page: The Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy - ASCIA INFANT FEEDING ADVICE

And as a pdf: http://www.allergy.org.au/images/sto...dvice_2010.pdf

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    Just Coasting

Thanks Epacris. Very interresting

Jul 2008
    Eastern Surburbs, Melbourne

There was something on the TV a week or so ago about this.

Over the last 30 years, I have heard alot of recommendations of when you start a child on solids. My DD's are 2 years apart and it was different even then.

Some children will take food at 4 months whereas others will have nothing to do with it until much later. You know your child so will know when they are interested in starting.

I think the key word here is recommendation.

Feb 2006
    melbourne

IMO i believe people wrongly think their babies are ready for food because the watch them eat with interest, they grab at food and cutlery, they stop sleeping as well etc etc.. all of which are very normal developmental leaps, kids watch what we do becasue its how they learn, babies watch us go to the loo, does it mean they're ready to toilet train..??
    Last edited by Olive; October 18th, 2010 at 09:03 AM.