Thread: What to do with lentils?

Default What to do with lentils?

I brought some dried green lentils and would love to get some recipes so I can cook wiht them! In an effort to have less meat for evening meals I would prefer they are vegetarian, though if you have a yummy recipe that's not I will take it!! And also anyone ave a slow cooker lentil recipe or two?? I have tried lookinga t recipes online, though they are mostly for dahl, involve meat, or just sound really boring and not tasty! Oh and not too many soups please! I have a few yummo lentil soup recipes, but it's tooooo hot for soups right now!
    Help!! And TIA!

I love lentil soup (add cauliflower) or make vegetable patties...

we make a thing called mjudra.. its a rice n lentil dish n u make yoghurt and cucumber as a side dish its very yummy!!! and also vegetarian friendly.. not so sure about the slow cooker though..

Lentil bolognese. Made similar to the beef-based sauce, but you just don't cook the lentils for as long. I add lots of grated carrot, zucchini, chopped spinach, tin of tomatoes and tomato paste, fresh herbs... but there's no real rules, you just chuck in what you like! Mine ends up slightly different every time as I just add whatever veg I need to finish up in the fridge. DD loves it.

Lentil burgers are great too - again, I don't really have a recipe as they're based on whatever I have around.
    - Cook up diced veggies (potato, pumpkin, sweet potato work well as a 'base', then I add anything - carrot, zucchini, finely chopped broccoli, beans, cauliflower...),
    - mix in soaked / tinned lentils,
    - drain REALLY well so the mixture has very little moisture,
    -mash it all up a bit but leave some chunks,
    -allow to cool a bit and then stir through one raw egg,
    -roll into patties and roll in breadcrumbs,
    - leave to set in fridge for an hour or so (they'r less likely to fall apart when cooking if you do this, but it's not mandatory!)
    - shallow fry or BBQ

I've got Moroccan lentil and pumpkin stew for the slow cooker on my blog. And a matching recipe for lime and pistachio couscous.
    We'll be eating a lot of itin the coming weeks as our pumpkin patch makes its attempt to take over the world. Yums.

And I swear that soon I will add lentil shepherd's pie and lentil lasagne to the list. Nag me hard enough and I might even do it today

Hehe, no nagging Audax. I decided to give the lentils a miss for today and made some vegetable mac n cheese instead. But those recipes all sound devine!! I will come back soon and haunt you if you don't post them in a week or so tho

Anymore suggestions people???

And Audax, would you mind posting those recipes? I haven't cooked the lentils yet, though I have lots of pumpkin at the mo, maybe that morrocan stew would be good to use it up!!

green lentils can be good in salads- soak them if they're dried and add to any salad...

You said you have heaps of pumpkin?
    Roast the pumpkin into 1 inch cubes (or whatever size you want!)
    Mix with baby spinach, rocket, pine nuts (or walnuts), green beans and th lentils.
    Add some grilled paprika chicken if you're that way inclined
    Use balsamic for dressing, and just mix it through with your fingers.

We had it last night actually!

I *adore* dahl! It's sooo yummy and I normally expand the recipe to add in whatever needs using up. http://www.theage.com.au/news/recipe...703348894.html

I have made a lentil pie using short crust pastry. Really yummy.
    Used Lentils, tinned tomatoes, garlic, onions, celery, carrot and worcesthire sauce.
    I googled lentil pie when I was looking, it came up with some great pie recipes.