Thread: Balance Bikes

Default Balance Bikes

Hi i am curious about the new balance bikes out for children.
    The one i have been looking at in Aldi says from 2 to 5 year olds but i was wondering if a 3 year old would be able to ride a bike without training wheels ..
    How do they work?
    Does anyone have one?

DD1 is getting one for Xmas I love them!

From what I can tell the kids just push themselves along and rely on the whole "moving forward means not falling over" balance principle that bicycles use. So it's supposed to encourage natural balance rather than reliance on training wheels. That's my take on it anyway.
    I plan to get one for DS as I feel training wheels slow down the learning to ride process rather than help, but that's just my opinion.

They aren't new, a lot of european (I think?) countries have had them for a long time. They actually promote riding a lot better than tricycles and training wheels. I wish they had them in aus when my 2 were little (well I think they did with DS but I didn't know about them!). All my friends who have them for their children noticed their children were able to ride a lot quicker than their children that didn't have them.

They're the best! All the kids that I know who have had them ar riding confidently on pedal bikes much much earlier than their training wheeled counterparts. (but they are all also from hardcore cyclist families)
    The idea goes that it's easier to learn balance first and THEN add pedals, rather than learn to pedal first and then add balance as a skill.

They are fabulous! Our DD1 started riding hers at 2.5yrs and she was able to ride a pedal bike without training wheels before she turned 4. She still rides her balance bike as her preferred mode of transport to kinder as it is light, quick and easy. It has really helped her balance and she can ride really slowly on her pedal bike without tipping as she has this sense already built in. DP put togetehr a little video of her progression if you are interested

YouTube - Why a Runbike?

Thanks girls i think i will have to invest in one.
    DS is 2.5yrs so it looks like it would be a good xmas present. The prices vary alot, i have found the range from about $40 to $200.
    Do you think the price indicates better quality or just one of those things that brand name applies to and not necessarily means the product is any better?

Teh one a day website has them for $39.99 on special today, we got an Aldi one for $60 that has been brilliant, also the ozsale website has them for $110 today as well - they are all good quality and will will last.

Hi guys. I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add in as we got DS a balance bike with added pedals (Hip kids) about a year ago. We put off the pedals for a bit as he needed to be taller for the pedals than just the bike. On Sunday he decided he wanted them on so we all went off to the park and away he went like a professional. It was pretty amazing actually. I was gobsmacked and kicked myself that I didn't think to bring the video camera. He is one week short of 4 years old. So I would definitely go the balance bike way again. I think its awesome.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Just going on from earlier posts - does anyone know where to get them online and at a reasonable price? Looking at getting one for DS soonish.

ETA - we don't have an Aldi in SA otherwise I'd consider heading down there to get one

I've seen a new one called a FlipBike - looks really cool and folds up like a scooter so it's portable. We're getting one soon I think if you google it - they've also got a FB page