Thread: Tell me about tofu!

Default Tell me about tofu!

We're in the process of going vegetarian and I'm looking at what I can use to change my recipes from meat to vegetarian options.

I recall, vaguely (and possibly it was rumour/urban myth?), about tofu being bad for you because of the soy?

Can someone elaborate on this? Is it certain types of tofu? What exactly is the problem? i.e. is it a problem if you eat tofu more than x times per week, like with certain types of fish (or any food really...)?

TIA

The soy thing is in regards to unfermented soy. Tofu is processed, not (usually) fermented soy.
    You should take a look at Tempeh, excluding the fermented aspect, it is just much better for you on the whole as it is made using the whole soy bean. You can however find fermented tofu if you look hard enough.

Post Punk Kitchen (she has a FB page) has some awesome recipes (vegan) and inspiration for you.

Yes Tempeh is better...but it tastes like old socks

I can't stand tempeh... but I love tofu!

Im dubious about the black-listing of tofu and I think moderation is the key. We buy organic tofu and eat it maybe twice a week. No soy milk. About once a week or fortnight we're bad and eat fake soy meat crap.

The amount of processed soy you have to eat to have any detrimental effect is massive.

We eat it probably once a week, tempeh probably once a fortnight.

My favourite way to eat firm tofu is baked with a mix of hoi sin sauce, soy sauce and golden syrup.
    My favourite way to eat silken tofu is raw, blended with beetroot, garlic and cashews as a delicious dip
    My favourite way to eat tempeh is roasted with root vegies.

Think about not seeking to replace meat, but cook meals that don't have it. Much more delicious.

It gives me indigestion. I felt like a fake vege for years because I didn't really like or enjoy it! I much prefer to cook with beans and other legumes. This suits my cooking style, too, since I'm a bit of a one-pot fan.

Post punk kitchen has some great ideas for all sorts of veg*an recipes.

I love the stuff so much that I make my own.

When I first had it as a kid, I ate the flavoured sweet varieties - comes in mango, coconut, almond and plain - and is a great way to introduce people to it, as a dessert!

Never stopped eating it since then.

Tofu is not fermented, so the danger of anything is minor. Apparently not bad for women becuase of the natural estrogen in it, but if men eat it all day, every day (why would you anyway?), they can grow boobies.

Bryanna Clarke Grogan's Soy FAQ pages are an awesome source of info.

PS - Tempeh is HORRIBLE. :-P

Tempeh cut into thin slices and shallow fried is really yummy! You can then dunk it int your fav dipping sauce like sweet chill or sweet soy sauce or regular soy sauce or any dipps.... that yummy one Audux suggested with the silken tofu sounds like it's go well

Tofu we mainly have in stirfrys or curries and it pays to remember that it's like a sponge and it soaks up the flavors of whatever you marinate it in. SO when I make a curry I will often marinate it in coconut milk over night or for a stirfry soy sauce or something.

I was a vego for 10 years & lived on the stuff. Never developed a liking for Tempeh though
    Audax that recipe sounds delish! How long to you bake it for?
    As an aside be wary of your B12 levels when going vego, 2-3 years in mine crashed big time & it took another 1-2 years to get then self sustained on a vego diet without booster injections. Also watch your Omega intake, I ended up eating some fish cause it helped with my 'brain fuzz' in final year uni. I'm sure Audax has lots of good ideas on how to get what you need & be vego.
    Enjoy your tofu

I get confused as to what kind of tofu to buy! I want to make the fried crispy tofu that you eat with rice.. which type is that??
    Does it come in a packet, o is it in those takeaway containers from chinese shops?

Also, does anyone know how to do it that melt in your mouth way? Japanese tofu, I think it is.

I love tempeh - it has a salty flavour whereas tofu has NO flavour! I used to use it to replace the B in BLT. You cut it into thin strips and fry (with or without a slash of soy sauce or tamari). If you want to avoid an over-soy situation, look for tamari to replace soy sauce.

I've been a vegetarian most of my life, but have never obsessed over eating tofu. I usually just go for veges, lentils / pulses and lots of mushrooms. I don't like eating meat, so I don't try to replace it in my cooking. I try to avoid it!

When I have tofu, I always use firm. I marinade in manis (sweet soy) and fry. Serve with veges and rice.

There are a million great and weird ways to use tofu though. People cook it into cakes, whip it into dips, craft it into fake meats. If you want to be a tofu crafter, search for vegan recipes. Vegans (IMHO) go all-out to replace the meat and dairy and they come up with some amazing solutions.

I will see if I can find some recipes or books for you.
    I was vegan for a number of years and vegetarian for more, 10 all up.