thread: When do I start giving DS water?

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2008

Question When do I start giving DS water?

I'm not really sure if this is in the right place, but I'm not really sure where else to ask it.

I can't really seem to find the answer anywhere....maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot.

When is ite recommeded to start giving a baby water? At the moment DS still has LOTS of VERY wet nappies, so I'm not concerened about him being dehydrated at the moment. But we live in a really hot area, and I don't want him to become dehydrated in the future ITMS.

Thanks!

Aug 2006
    Melbourne

I always thought that you should offer water at when they have started solids

Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

Mar 2008
    Perth, WA

I started at about 4 months, just very small amounts, becuase she was on formula and it was getting into summertime.

But if your breastfeeding and are yourself getting *more* than enough water (enough for you + enough for milk production) then I would wait until starting solids.

What I do like about starting early though was that even though it was a bit of a struggle at that young age, DD now won't drink anything but water and will happily drink when she wants it, so I dont have to worry about her not getting enough.

BellyBelly Member
    Add *TripleJ* on Facebook

Jan 2009
    Diggers Rest VIC

DS started drinking water around 10 months even in the summer he refused anything but formula I kept offering but he didn't now at 19 months he loves his water and sometimes drinks more than me

Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Jul 2007
    melb

DS1 I started offering from 6 months when started solids but he didnt actually drink properly until 13 months, just wanted BF, would have a few sips here and there only before that!! Now he drinks more than me somedays and other days very different, he only drinks water at nearly 2 and 1/2 no cordial, or soft drink, has had juice on a couple of occasions only. Not huge fan of drinking milk.

DS2 I also started at 6 months and has days of drinking a sippy cup worth other days very little!!

Nov 2009
    In Paradise

I started at four months but only a little bit, then at 12 months he started drinking it from a cup

BellyBelly Member
    Add Jakabella on Facebook

Nov 2007
    in Love!

DD had a few issues with bowl movments as she was on solids so my pead and GP and MCHN said to start asap. Bella was having boiled cooled (not cold) water from about 1 month old. The summer she was born was also Black saturday and temps of 48 so needed to make sure she was hydrated. HTH.

Life Subscriber

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

There really is no right time hun. Breastfed babies don't need other fluids even when it's hot and it is recommended that babies be given only breastmilk for 6 months. Often mums find that offering some water at around the same time solids are started can work well, but you don't have to do them at the same time.

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2006

We have been giving our little chappy some water over the past few weeks or so. He loves it! I started it as my supply dropped off a bit as I wasn't drinking enough We haven't started solids yet.

I don't think it hurts to give them a little water at this age..One of those things where most bf babies pobably don't need it but I kind of like it when our fella needs a quick little drink and not neccessarily a boob!

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2009
    Qld

Depends on whether bf or ff, I know bf its not required, I just offer extra bf's in hot weather. We started giving a sippy cup when they started solids (BLS) just to let them experiment and play with the cup thing.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2009

My DD had her first sip of water probably before she even a month old (please, no judgements) she is BF with a formula top up before bed but gets hiccups pretty often after a feed and if I leave her with them she gets upset and throws up. I found trying to BF her more to get rid of them would just result in power chucks but a mouthful of boiled cooled water would get rid of them without overfilling her, that and we live in the tropics without a/c and she's a very warm bub so I figured it wouldn't hurt, and it hasn't. so she likes a bit of water (about 20-30ml) every few days but it in no way affects her feeding. I think the main concern with giving bubs water is that it can fill them up and they might not get all the milk they need, so maybe if you try giving them water 10 mins after a feed?

Just my opinion and what works for me, I'm only new at this mum job!!!