thread: popcorn and children

BellyBelly Member
    Add leckert on Facebook Follow leckert On Twitter

Mar 2008
    still on the teaching contract roundabout

popcorn and children

When can kiddies have popcorn? My DS (19mths) is eyeing off my popcorn (air-popped) whenever I make it. I've broken a couple of pieces down for him because he was so insistent on having some (we've been doing BLS here) but I'm not sure about giving him whole pieces of pop corn.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

DS had it by that age - but he was always very good at eating, by which I mean he would eat slowly and chew stuff well. They say not before 4 I think? BUt maybe just use your judgment and supervise to begin with.

Mar 2007
    Melbourne

Was curious about the same thing. My boys like popcorn and DD is always at their food. I think if it is properly popped then it would be ok. My DD can eat quarters of apple, so I base it on that. Only thing with popcorn, the kernel can sometimes get stuck in our throats, so I suppose you have to be keep that in mind for your DS.

BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Jun 2004
    The Festival State

children who are interested in food? (eyes pop out of my head). jealous much LOL.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2008

Thanks MadB - that's kinda what I figured with the supervision stuff. So he'll get the occasional one or two for a while yet.

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2008
    Perth

DD has some every now and then and LOVES it! She had it for the first time about a month ago so 16 months. It's a great snack, quite a few of my friends with simlar aged kids use popcorn as a snack.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Can't remember when DD first had it.
    Can tell you she is 3 now and has been eating it for sometime.
    It is something I don't leave her alone with, and she eats one piece at a time.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2007
    ...not far enough away :)

It was actually one of the things listed in what I could send DS1 to daycare with and that was when he was in the 15months to 2yr room. He is now 3.5 and has had it for some time however I did pick out the best bits and i've always watched him.

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2010

It tops the list of things that cause choking in this house (only had two choking incidents, once a steel marble and once popcorn) but DD#2 has been fine with it since she got all her teeth. She likes it enough that thankfully she doesn't shred it and leave it all over the floor for DS to eat, like she does with everything else ...

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2005
    Sydney

I've given DD whatever we had and just kept an eye for those choking hazards. TBH DD never had an issue with popcorn, nuts, grapes, whatever else is on the list. Mandarin stringy stuff made her gag quite badly once, but she sorted it out. I didn't withhold anything after about the age of one.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2008

Well, DS loves popcorn - no choking (yet!). He gets very very excited when I get the popcorn maker out. He loves eating it, not much gets left around the place unless he's had enough.

And the truth is we don't know anything
    Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

DS1's paed told us to give him plain popcorn, he was about 2 and a half?
    It's really high in fibre and he was recommending it for constipation issues

BellyBelly Member
    Add Rach75 on Facebook

Oct 2005
    Moura, QLD, Australia

luke is 17mths and has been having it since he was about 12mths but then again Ii wouldn't have let my first son have it so I am a bit laxed with Luke

Oct 2008

EEKK, I've been giving DD popcorn since she was around 10 months old. She loves the stuff!!