thread: I just can't bring myself to...

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    Hunter Valley, NSW

I just can't bring myself to...

...give DD anything other than mush. She has tried lots of different things and lots of people say I should start giving her bigger, more solid things like cooked carrot fingers or a bean or something off our plate for her to hold and munch on (more like gum to death). So, taking everyone's advice I cooked up some carrot fingers but as soon as she had it, she shoved it in, it broke off in her mouth into a chokable piece. I just can't being myself to give her anything other than blended stuff. =(

BellyBelly Member
    Add Party-of-five on Facebook

Sep 2008
    bunbury WA

My DD2 didnt have lumpy food at your DDs age she just wasnt interested
    dont rush if you dont feel ready
    maybe just wait a bit and give her mashed instead of blended food?

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    in my head

The gag reflex in babies is much closer to the front of the mouth than in adults. So for us, to trigger a choking reflex, the food has to be pretty much at the back of the mouth, or touching the back of the throat. For babies, especially young babies your daughters age, that reflex is triggered much closer to the front of the mouth. It moves back as babies get older.

I don't know if that helps but from your post your main concern seems to be choking? As long as she is in control of what goes in her mouth - i.e. you're not pushing or putting more solid food in there (mush doesn't generally count) and you're supervising her, then it's highly unlikely she will choke. There is a difference between gagging and choking too.

If you are interested in feeding more solid food, I highly recommend a book called 'baby led weaning'. It may be available in the online store but Amazon should have it as well. Can't remember the author but the title on the cover is in green.

Ultimately it's up to you how you feed your baby. Both of you have to be comfortable and happy with the process. There is no rush. She is still so little and I get the impression that you're moving faster than you want to because of pressure from others? Tell them to back off. She's your baby, you know her best and you'll go at your own pace. She has the rest of her life to eat solid food. You don't want to make food a battle ground.

All the best. x

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Oct 2008
    Victoria

I remember being sooo nervous giving Moo anything other than pureed foods, even tiny lumps of banana made me really anxious. DH would give him the chunkier stuff and I couldn't even watch! I think I had the phone at the ready for the first couple of months of starting solid food just in case I had to call someone. So I probably took it slower than he needed. Fast forward to almost 18 months - he eats really well...except when he's throwing it around the dinner table!

I think Kaz has given you some great advice. I just wanted to let you know that it's normal to feel the way you do. As she starts eating more you'll feel better

Jan 2008
    Central Coast NSW

I was exactly the same! I'm still paranoid but he eats well now even though he ate lots of purees early on. Just do what you feel comfortable with

Jan 2009

I think you need to prepare yourself for the fact that she will gag - which someone has already said, is different to choking. Gagging is the bodies way of saying, that's in the wrong place - it's all a part of her learning how to handle solid food. I don't know that I would go for carrot, but perhaps really well cooked potato or pumpkin as they will disintergrate fairly quickly in the mouth. Unless she's appearing upset by the process, continue with it. Babies will gag but they usually don't become upset by this, as I already said, it's just a body reflex.
    Like others said, just stay close so you are handy incase she does get something 'stuck'.

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

So don't.

Look, I could wax lyrical about the benefits of BLS, but just because it worked for us doesn't mean it has to work for you. Lots of people are full of 'wll meaning' advice all along this parenting journey, but you have to go with what works for you.

If you want it to work then the PP's have given some fantastic advice, but if it goes against your grain, then let go of the guilt you feel and keep going like you were. She's only 6months old, plenty of time to learn new things....and I've seen very few adults who continue to eat only mush