thread: Cooking with breastmilk

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2007
    Sydney, NSW

Question Cooking with breastmilk

I have frozen breast milk and have started thawing them and using them in cheese sauces and other foods for my 8mth old instead of cow's milk.
    I know that cooking breast milk kills the enzymes but I prefer to use breast milk instead of cow's.
    Is this bad? Is there any nutrient left after using it for sauces/scrambled eggs/weet-bix etc?

TIA!

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2007
    Sydney, NSW

Hi mods,

is it possible to move the thread here Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids so maybe someone might reply?

Thanks!

BellyBelly Member
    Add helle on Facebook

Sep 2008
    Bunbury, Western Australia

I used to do the sane (pump it out intentionally to do so!) never occurred to me that I'd be killing to good stuff in the cooking process...

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

I'm sure you're not killing all the good stuff. Presumably you'd be doing the same with cow's milk in any case, so you're still ahead, right?

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2007
    Sydney, NSW

yeah, that's why I'm not sure. everything seems to say not to cook breastmilk on the stove or microwave but I'm sure I have seen recipes w breastmilk

Jan 2006

I would think that's more for if you were feeding your baby the expressed milk. That's why you put the bottle in warm water to heat up, rather than heating it directly.

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2007
    Sydney, NSW

so even if there are some nutrients lost, it's not so bad as you are giving bub solids which has other goodies?

BellyBelly Member
    Add helle on Facebook

Sep 2008
    Bunbury, Western Australia

Well honestly I can't see how cooking bm would be any different to cooking cows milk? Wouldn't nutrients get cooked out of cows milk too? And let's face it, Boobie juice is way more superior than cows milk XD
    I would say as the Madb said... It's just if you're giving expressed milk as a main diet source.

Jan 2006

When baby's on milk alone they require all that nutrition etc, so it's best to avoid destroying any of it. So yeah, if you're using it in cooking, then the main nutrtino from the meal is from the food anyway, so it shouldn't matter so much. If you used cow's milk (for eg), the cooking would have the same effect (only you're starting from a lower base).

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2007
    Sydney, NSW

Thanks so much, makes me feel better knowing I'm giving her breastmilk still in her food but it's not completely devoid of nutrients. any little goodness of breastmilk is still goodness!