thread: avocado experience

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2009
    Melbourne

avocado experience

Hi there,

I am about to introduce avocado to my little one. Does anyone know if it can be frozen like other veggies in small portions? How long does a cut, fresh one last in the fridge?

Thanks for your help.

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2008
    Perth

My DD has loved avocado since the first try so hopefully you have the same luck as it's an easy and nutritious food

I'd get a few days in the fridge from a good avocado. After cutting it, I put the two halves back together so it forms like a seal then wrap tightly in cling wrap. I remove any brown bits when I next use it. Once one half is finished, I bin that side and just tightly wrap the other keeping the seed intact until the last use.

I keep meaning to buy a good avocado 'keeper' which you can buy at good kitchen shops. I've heard they are brilliant.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure avocado won't freeze. I'd imagine it would just go awfully brown and mushy.

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2009
    Sydney

Great new food for babies! My DS loves avocado heaps!

Now he eats like 8 of those mini avocado sushi rolls! Like he inhales them he loves them so much.

I don't think avo freezes well.. I Have this cool avocado holder that stops it from going brown. I think you can get them from howards storage world.

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2009

Avo freezes great, my girl has Avo most days. I buy them when they're a good price, lightly mash and put them into ice cube trays. They stay nice and green & defrost fine. I do the same as the above poster with the fresh Avo, put the halves back together, wrap & into the fridge.
    My dd loves Avo & apparently it's the closest food you can get to that fat content of breastmilk.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2008
    Gold Coast, QLD

Avocados go brown from oxidation so it's just the surface that has contact with air and doesn't mean it has gone bad.

They bruise easily so be gentle. Don't squeeze them in store to check if they're soft. The trick is to touch the pointy end and see if it is soft. They ripen quickly.

Hass avocados go dark purple (skin) when ripe.

Shepherd avocados, when in season, don't go brown. They also stay green when ripe.

Avocados are one of the single most nutritious fruits containing a wide variety of vitamins.

My son has also always loved them. He eats avocado almost every day.

Sent from my Desire HD

BellyBelly Member

May 2008
    where the V8's roar

avocado was one of the first foods DS had and he loves it. You've been given some great advice on how to store it.

I would give DS fingers of avocado, put it on toast, cruskits, spoon feed him etc.... I think it's a great food for them to enjoy

Goodluck on your solids journey.

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2009

My dd also eats sticks of avo but she plays with it more than eats it when she has it like that hehe. I think she likes the feeling of it squishing between her fingers. Avo is great and super healthy!!!

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2009
    Melbourne

Thanks guys. It was so easy to but through the strainer this morning. Yes, I was after it for the fat content as my son doesn't gain weight at the rate he should and I'm conscious that solids displace some of his milk. He can't have dairy so I can't start him on yoghurt to up his fat content.

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

If you have hlf an avocado, place it on a piece of damp kitchen paper before putting it in the fridge and it will last longer.

Also mashing avocado with other things can be great too. DD1 loved avocado with mashed potato, with pasta and with lentils.

Jan 2009
    A Pirate Ship

Avo was my bubs 2 food at 4 months old and he loved it Avo freezes really well, I usually put a couple of drops of lemon juice in it which stops it going brown although if you don't want to do that then there is nothing wrong with it going brown anyway just as long at is was green when you froze it. Other great things for fat are coconut oil and flaxseed oil, ds has a serve of avo most days and I try to give him those other oils too, coconut oil is great mixed in with sweet potato and rockmellon. I also mix fruit purees in with his avo YUM.