Thread: Pumpkins

Question Pumpkins

DP's uncle bought us a massive bag of butternut pumpkins, the other night i made some pumpkin soup and will be making more this week to freeze but what else can i make to use them up?
    Some are starting to go a bit yuck so i'm taking them out of the bag and want to use the others ASAP.

I found this recipe for pumpkin scones:

Ingredients:
    1tbs butter
    1/2 cup castor sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    2 cups cold mashed pumpkin (might make it 1 with butternut)
    2 cups self raising flour, sifted.

Method:
    1. Cream butter & sugar
    2. Add egg and blend well
    3. Add pumpkin & flour
    4. mix into soft dough
    5. Roll out to 2cm thickness
    6. Cut into circles with glass
    7. Place on oven tray & glaze with an egg-milk mix
    8. Bake at 220c for 12-15min

So i have a sick DD and need quick, easy recipes to use up these pumpkins.

I was also thinking of doing a scalloped potatoes with chunky pumpkin & bacon?

My DH makes a pumpkin damper which is very like scones but without the hassle of cutting them all out. You can freeze it as well.

I also modify zucchini fritters to include whatever veggie I have on hand, works well with grated pumpkin.

You could google some pumpkin risotto recipes, or cube it up, roast it with capsicum and onion and have that with a tomato-based pasta dish.

Thanks hun, not sure i trust myself making a risotto
    Might check out taste and see what comes up for pumpkin.

The scones should freeze well enough shouldn't they?

Yep, my nanna was a big scone freezer. You could always heat them a little again once they're defrosted too. mmmmmm

Thats what i was thinking, with some yummy butter
    Might make a couple of batches then and throw them in groups of maybe 6 in freezer bags THEN in an airtight container aswell
    Wish me luck if i can get it done b/w the kids, dishes, laundry and hopefully no more sick washing blergh

I have a really yummy pumpkin cake recipe if you'd like me to dig it up? Also one for ginger pumpkin tart using 5 ingredients (inc. a ginger biscuit base)...

Pumpkin and ricotta muffins.
    Pumpkin and cous-cous salad.

You could probably freeze steamed pumpkin to use for cooking muffins, scones and anything else that calls for pureed/mashed pumpkin.

I have an extremely easy pumkpin and spinach rissoto recipe. You basically put it all in the pot and wait. Very yummy

Thanks everyone, recipes would be great!

---
    - Sent from my iPhone, more than likely while I should be doing something else!

OMG I have a Pumpkin, Feta, Black Olive and Walnut salad that is sooooo yummy and super easy!!! I did have a recipe for it once but it's really just adapting and putting whatever you like in a salad with those ingredients, I slice the pumpkin, leave the skin on, brush with olive oil, garlic and basil then bake until pumpkin soft and skin is crispy.. I just mix all those ingredients together with some baby spinach and Spanish onion and toss it with a few dashes of white vinegar as well.. So so yummy and healthy too!! Yummmmmmmmmm!!!!

Try leek and pumpkin lasagne.
    I just saute 2 leeks, garlic and sliced pumpkin in oil/butter to soften up a bit, add some tomatoes/passata and then layer. Top with bechemel sauce and cheese. Bake ~ 40mins 160degrees. You can add spinach and other vege if you have some lying about!

Salads - roasted pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, carrot with garlic and then drizzled with balsamic add salt and pepper.
    - roast pumpkin in cubes, add to lentils, chicken, roast leftovers and add some olive oil salt/pepper.
    - add roast pumpkin to cous cous with pine nuts, sultanas, chicken, sundried capsicum, spanish onions.

I have always want to make pumpkin gnocchi with burnt butter and sage sauce but haven't got there yet! Could you freeze the gnocchi if you made it fresh??

You could try old fashioned canning.
    Otherwise, as Onyx said, roast or steam to make mash, then freeze. Roast pumpkin makes the best soup.

Pumpkin whoopie pies:
    Pies:
    275g plain flour
    1/2tsp baking powder
    1/2tsp baking soda
    1 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4tsp salt
    200g light brown soft sugar (i use whatever i have)
    125ml sunflower oil
    1large egg beaten
    1tsp vanilla extract
    115g pumpkin puree

Filling:
    200g full fat soft cheese (i use cream cheese or marscapone)
    85g unsalted butter, softened
    2tbsp maple syrup
    1tsp grnd cinnamon
    85g icing sugar, sifted

Bake:
    Preheat oven to 180. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with baking paper.

Sift together plain flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon & salt.

Place oil & sugar in a large bowl & beat for 1 minute with electric whisk. Whisk in egg & vanilla then pumpkin puree. Stir in the sifted flour mixture & beat until thoroughly incorporated.

Pipe or spoon 24 mounds of the mixture onto trays, spaced well apart to allow for spreading. (i never get this many. I get about 6 per tray, but i make them big. When it says they spread, they really do spread. Using an ice cream scoop can help)

Bake, one sheet at a time, in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until risen & just firm to touch. Cool for 5 min then transfer to a cooling rack & leave to cool completely.

Filling:
    Beat soft cheese & butter together until well blended. Beat in maple syrup, cinnamon & icing sugar until smoith.

To assemble, spread or pipe filling over flat side of half the cakes. Top with the rest of the cakes.

Recipe from: whoopie pies, by Love Food.

I've made these using left over apple puree instead of pumpkin. Very yummy

Soo checked out all the pumpkins and not as many were good as i thought, BUT i mashed up the ones that were alright and have made 2 batches of scones, fresh out of the oven with some butter and they are DELICIOUS!
    Have some pumpkin leftover so am going to freeze it for more scones maybe next week.
    1 cup of pumpkin was fine and very WET so i had to add a bit more flower, might be nice to add some nutmeg or something with them too.

I do a lasagne sometimes, using a mix of boiled and mashed pumpkin, one 440g tin tomatoes and one 440g tin of brown lentils, drained, as the 'meat' layer, and plain yoghurt (or the usual bechemal/cheese sauce) as the other layer. And the pasta layer, of course! It's really tasty, and freezes well for DPs lunches at work, or for 'emergency' meals.

Also, if you cut it into small cubes and roast it, you can freeze it in smallish quantities for adding to salads. I like a carb component to any salad that is meant to be a meal by itself, and this is a really easy way to do that.

Here's a sweet dessert that I promise is yummo and so easy to make. It's from an American friend of mine so disregard the canned pumpkin and just use your fresh pumpkin boiled and mashed with nothing added. Also just buy any pie crust or make your own if you know how to:

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE
    1 Packet of cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup suger
    1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice **
    2 eggs
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1 Ready-Crust Pie Crust

Directions
    1. In large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese o medium speeds of electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugar and spice. Beat until combined.
    2. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until just combined after each addition/ Stir in the pumpkin.
    3. Pour into crust. Bake at 350 degrees F (180C) for 30-35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool for 1 hour on wire rack.
    4, Garnish as desired. Store in refridgerator.

** May substitute 1 teaspoon ground cimmamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves in place of the pumpkin pie spice.

Prep time: 20 minutes
    Servings: 8

tashybabe , Thank you for sharing the detail of pumpkin...
    It seems very good in taste as its recipe tells..
    I'll try it very soon...

Scavenger Hunt Idea
    Last edited by anora; September 10th, 2011 at 04:26 PM.