Thread: How soon can you prepare your vegies for the night?

Default How soon can you prepare your vegies for the night?

Just wondering how soon can I prepare vegies for the night. Like peel potatoes, pumpkin, corn etc? I find this time 10-12 is my quiet time where most of the cleaning is done and baby DD is sleeping. Come 530pm its always so hectic and then DD is crying whilst I'm madly trying to get dinner prepared to cook it. Is it safe to have the vegies ready to start cooking and leave in some cool water from say 11am until they get cooked at 530pm? That would also reduce the cleaning after dinner to if its all ready to go I just need to cook it. I did love the slow cooker for this reason but its so hot now all my slow cooker meals we love are more suited to winter.
    What does everyone else do?

Subscribing - That would make my life easier too!!

I am already missing winter because I've put the slow cooker away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have them sitting in pots of water they will last till dinner time. I do it from time to time and not had a problem.

I do it the night before and (completely) cover them in water and put them in the fridge.

Root vegies (ie patato, carrot, etc) will last for about a week if cut and fully submerged in water in the fridge.

I do too

Every Sunday we have a roast, and I prepare all the vegies while everyone is still asleep in the morning

I just make sure they are covered in water, then I change the water that the vegies where soaking in to fresh water.

I have actually steam the collie and brocklie (white and green trees, in our house) and cover with the white sauce - so it's ready to go at roast time

Cool thanks for your replies. My kitchen is finally clean from last night and I dread doing it all again tomorrow and so on so I'd like to go get the vegies ready for tonight and then have the kitchen clean before dinner so after dinner I only have the dishes and the pot and fry pan as oppose to the peels, peeler etc. Trying to make life easier here lol

I always do my vegetables when the little ones have their mid morning nap. It definitely makes life that much easier. Definitely make sure they are covered by plenty of water.

I do the same - but be careful as some vegies absorb water - especially the more porous things like pumpkin etc

If you are steaming them it wont matter, but I've left some vegies in water and found them to be a bit mushy/soggy when roasted (especially if left overnight)