thread: Suggestions needed!! 12 month old not interested in milk!

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

Suggestions needed!! 12 month old not interested in milk!

Hello BB ladies! Help please!

Miss Z turned 1 on Halloween. So, just like I did with her older sister, I threw the bottles and formula out (she was fully formula fed from 3 months) and started with that A2 milk.

She woke up on the Thursday with a severe ear infection, which required strong antibiotics poor lil muffin.

She is drinking LOADS of water, from her cup with a straw, which she has been doing since 6 months old. But, she just won't drink any milk. I have bought a couple different types of sippy cups, straw cups etc to try and entice her. But, she just won't drink it.

What can I do???

Help please!!

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2010
    Gold Coast

My ds won't either and he is fully formula lol personally I think milk smells way better

Jan 2008
    Central Coast NSW

I wouldn't worry too much. Will she eat cheese or yoghurt? My DS1 weaned (from the breast) at 14 months and didn't drink any other milk until he was almost 3. As long as she is drinking water and getting some dairy of some form she will be fine

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2006
    Perth

Miss I at 5.5 yrs is still yet to swallow a mouthful of milk. Depending on how much other dairy she's getting I wouldn't be too worried. If you are, maybe keep giving her a formula drink but in her cup once a day - Iz kept having a formula drink until she was about 18 months because her diet otherwise was oh so very average.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

oh gawd does it ever Jellybean! formula smell

She does eat some cheeses Amaunet, parmesan and feta, and is starting to eat yoghurt.

I guess that's why I am a lil worried with her dairy intake! her sister just ate cheese and drank milk from the get go!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jul 2009

Just keep offerring

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

Just keep offerring

That I have been! and then tipping it down the sink after she has thrown it on the floor for the 500th time!

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2006
    Perth

Do you know if she has an intolerance to dairy? I was told by our paed that kids have a natural reluctance to eat foods that won't agree with them - seems to work in our household.

One suggestion we were given was to very slowly add more and more milk to her water. We never tried it given Miss I's intolerance issues but just another idea.

Dec 2008

It sounds as though she dosen't like it. As long as she's getting her daily intake of calcium it doesn't matter.

I hate milk and refused it when I weaned as well. To this day I can't stand the stuff, I hate the smell and look of it and freak out if it gets on my skin. Today, I was making a coffee at work and a few drops of milk splashed on my face, I almost vomited

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

Do you know if she has an intolerance to dairy? I was told by our paed that kids have a natural reluctance to eat foods that won't agree with them - seems to work in our household.

One suggestion we were given was to very slowly add more and more milk to her water. We never tried it given Miss I's intolerance issues but just another idea.
    Nah, no intolerance that we have noticed.

But will keep watching for something, just in case

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

My DS was b/f for a very short time and then f/f till 12 months. I introduced cow's milk into his formula for a few weeks before offering 100% cow milk but he just didn't like it. I made sure he ate 2-3 servings per day of dairy after that, but he just never warmed up to cow's milk unless it was on cereal. Even now at 32 months, he still won't drink milk even from a cup.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

It sounds as though she dosen't like it. As long as she's getting her daily intake of calcium it doesn't matter.

I hate milk and refused it when I weaned as well. To this day I can't stand the stuff, I hate the smell and look of it and freak out if it gets on my skin. Today, I was making a coffee at work and a few drops of milk splashed on my face, I almost vomited
    You will hate me then! I LIVED on the stuff as a kid! drank probably 2l a day! of fresh cows milk! we lived next to a dairy farm, and always went and got our milk from the neighbours :P

Dec 2008

No, I don't hate you for that. lol

Jan 2006

It's really not necessary if she's eating a rounded diet. A bit and cheese and yogurt, etc should do it.

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2011
    Radelaide

Just out of curiosity is it the A2 milk she is refusing? Or any milk?

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Melbourne

Does it make a difference if the cows milk is given to her warm or cold? I know my DS had a preference for cold only at that age

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

Just out of curiosity is it the A2 milk she is refusing? Or any milk?
    Seems to be all milk Chrispe..

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

Does it make a difference if the cows milk is given to her warm or cold? I know my DS had a preference for cold only at that age
    Milka - I have tried both!