Thread: Refrigerate fruits and veggies before juicing?

Default Refrigerate fruits and veggies before juicing?

Do I need to refrigerate fruits and vegetables before juicing them?

Default Re: Refrigerate fruits and veggies before juicing?

Not necessarily - it depends on how long you're storing the F&V, and what your preference is.

So, for a watermelon based juice served on a hot summer's day, you probably want everything to go in chilled so you can serve it straight away.

But for your regular veggie/fruit mix, I don't think it matters too much. Do, however, make sure you have washed everything thoroughly unless you're going to peel it.

I don't I just add ice at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    Not necessarily - it depends on how long you're storing the F&V, and what your preference is.

So, for a watermelon based juice served on a hot summer's day, you probably want everything to go in chilled so you can serve it straight away.

But for your regular veggie/fruit mix, I don't think it matters too much. Do, however, make sure you have washed everything thoroughly unless you're going to peel it.
    I am not also used to refrigerate F&V before juicing, from what I know after you have juiced you can store it inside the ref. If you happen to cut and peel F&V you can only keep it inside the ref for around 2hrs before juicing

Most fresh juices need to be consumed within 30mins of being made, you can't store them in the fridge. If you have a masticating juicer you can store your juice for 24 hours.

there is some research that says keeps fruit cold while squeezing preserves more of the enzymes as the blender or juicer produces heat which kills them. That said, a handful of ice thrown in should do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    there is some research that says keeps fruit cold while squeezing preserves more of the enzymes as the blender or juicer produces heat which kills them. That said, a handful of ice thrown in should do the same.
    Good idea! Yeah the heat produced if you're using a blender kills the enzymes but does it follow the thought if you refrigerate or freeze veggies and fruits before juicing the enzymes are preserved? How come? If heat is produced while grinding in a high speed blender I'm sure even if your fruit or veggie is frozen, it will still produce heat. But if you're using a juicer it won't kill the enzymes as it slowly rotating and grinding the veggies with minimal heat so enzymes retained.