Thread: Unsure on what decision to make

gippymum Guest

Default Unsure on what decision to make

Im 21 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I had an emergency cesar after 14 and 3 quarter hours of labour and failure to progress. It was an awful recovery and I suffered PND after and found it hard to bond to my baby. I should never have been induced with an OP presentation and my cerix was no where near ready to deliver naturally.

This time around I really wanted to try a vbac up until the obstetrician told me I had a thin scar. Can you still try with this?

She wants me in hospital from the onset of labour, and I will only be given a certain amount of time before a cesar is the only option.

By the time the birth happens, I will have 21 months between births.

Plenty of people VBAC without ever having had anyone assess their scar.

I am sorry to be blunt, but your OB is not VBAC friendly. Time limits, continuous CTG, scaremongering etc all speak of someone who views births as scary, not normal. A truly supportive careprovider will not place such restrictions on you that have no evidence to back them up.

Can you seek a second opinion? If it is an OB you want, perhaps find one who comes recommended from women who have successfully VBAC-ed wih him/her.

Have a look at Birthrites - Healing After Caesarean for a load of info on VBAC.

HTH,
    Cara

SamanthaP Guest

I can only reiterate what Cara has said. Your obstetrician is scaremongering and doesn't sound remotely birth friendly. If you are serious about wanting a vaginal birth, then I suggest you reassess who you will hire to provide your care. Your best bet would be with a midwife.

gippymum Guest

unfortunately I do not have a choice when it comes to care. I am stuck in country victoria with not much of a choice in Obstetricians compared to when I was back home in Adelaide. To uproot a toddler out of his home environment for two months whilst I wait on the birth of my 2nd is unthinkable.

What basis is her opinion of your scar being thin? Has she ever overseen a successful VBAC (important question to ask of her, methinks!)? It's good that you recognise what went a bit awry during your last labour (induction etc.), sounds like you're informed which is a great start to a VBAC!

Have you though of a doula or private midwife? If cash is tight then you can sometimes get a student midwife for free I think.

At any rate, keep posting and reading here, it's where I learnt all I needed to know for my first birth!

gippymum Guest

cash isnt the issue in this case, and I totally wish I could go back to SA and have the choice of obs and private hospitals there but i cant. Just see what happens i guess....

It might be worth talking to a private midwife then to get a second opinion.

Gippymum to you.

Just because your scar/uterus is apparently thin why does this mean it is not strong? Maybe a question worth asking you OB anyway? I would imagine everyones uterus becomes quite thin with pregnancy.

I wish you all the best for positive birth experience next time.

SamanthaP Guest

Gippy mum your choice isn't only restricted to obstetricians and private hospitals! As a matter of fact, they are the worst choice if you want to have a VBAC. There is midwife-led care at public hospitals, midwife-GP shared care, public antenatal care, birth centres etc. The gold standard of maternity care is of course one to one care from a continuity of care midwife ie. an independent midwife. If you are serious about wanting a vaginal birth, then I would urge you to really look at what's available to you.