Thread: Inserts for pocket nappies

Question Inserts for pocket nappies

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has tried the inserts that are made by WAHM's? I am looking at buying around 20 to use with eenees, and have been given a price of around $3.50 each.

I would love to use these rather than cloth flats. I have some time up my sleeve, as bub isn't due for another 3 months, but want to add things like these to my baby shower list.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Hmm, I haven't seen those - what are they made from? If they are hemp or bamboo, whacko! I'll be getting myself some, lol.
    As an aside, most of my pockets are stuffed with microfibre towels that I got from Kmart - you can get a pack of 6 for around $12... Were you going to use the flats inside the pockets? Cause the microfibre will be a slimmer fit and more absorbent.

Hi Snacks,

Can't remember exactly what they were made of, will email the girl back and ask. I want to use nappies that I am not going to cringe over everytime I use them, whether it's because I am filling up landfill, or they are complicated. Also don't think DH is going to be too good with nappy folding, so pockets were the compromise. DH likes the idea of them being semi-disposable for when we are out. Unfortunately, the cost of a box of Weenees pads is quite high, so I am stocking up when I see them on sale. I have read that you can use flats inside, but that seems rather bulky, so was looking for an alternative. Will def. invest in some of the microfibre's from Kmart.

Will let you all know when I hear back as to what these inserts are made from.

Have just had an update from the lady who makes these:

I made these Nappy to fit the Medium and Large Eenee Design Nappy Covers. These work really well.
    These are made from 6 layers of Flannelette, 2 layers of Microfibre for extra aborbancy, 1 layer of Hemp and a layer of Suede to draw away the wettness from baby's skin. Its a three fold to make it quicker drying. Very soft and absorbant for baby.

I also use a J&J nappy liner with these so for a messy nappy you can just throw out the whole liner, these liners can be washed with the nappies if only wet. Or you can use the Eenee Flushable Nappy Liners.

Does this sound like an appropriate mix of materials?????? I have no idea about these thing, and don't really want to fork out the money if I would be better off with something else.

She is now selling on Oztion if you want to have a look.

Sounds ok - the six layers of flannelette make me think it'd be pretty bulky for not much absorbency, but other materials would be more expensive, so I guess its a good compromise. Sounds that these are to go directly onto baby's skin though (as opposed to stuffing for a pocket)? Personally, I'd just as soon go for the microfibre if its just going to be stuffed into a pocket. As long as the microfibre doesn't touch skin, I reckon it gives you the best of both worlds - more absorbent than cotton, slim-fitting and quick drying. Just fold a couple into thirds and stuff the pocket. Brill.
    As for liners, we have eenees flushables at home but I rarely remember to use them. (They are good when I actually remember, lol.) But they are useless for newborn poo. It just seeps straight through them. Same with the J&J ones. I wouldn't bother buying those - I'd just go for a sheet of microfleece and cut strips to make your own liners. Microfleece will feel nice against baby's skin, does a better job of protecting the nappy and rinses out easily.
    Just my two cents there.
    ETA: re the pockets being a good, less complicated nappy compromise, I totally agree. I know that when I'm leaving Natty with a babysitter (and DH) that if she has plenty of pockets to wear, then they are just as easy as sposies. Though, I do find people cringe at the poo factor, but I tell them to just leave it for me to deal with. I don't care.