Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby clothes in the first 3 months...

Question Baby clothes in the first 3 months...

Alright, so I know not to get to many "cutsey" outfits, nothing with lots of buttons and that... I know things like the bonds wondersuits are really good...

I have a few questions from all you mums (and dads of course)...

So we're trying to get organised a bit, for the first couple of months, with at least an idea of what we're going to need.

My first question is... For the bonds wondersuits, should we go 000 for newborn? I've heard they are a lot smaller and don't last as long... Also, how many would you recommend? Everyone says don't get too many... but how many is too many? How many is just right?

Ok, secondly, I definately want some wondersuits, and I was also thinking singlets and those suits... did you get a lot of use out of singlets and all-in-one suits? I see a lot of shirt-pant sets around... what about them?

What about sizes? Is it best to just buy some 0000, mostly 000?

Basically, what did you mostly use in the first 3 months? And how many is too many? I haven't got anything (except cutsey outfits we've been given as gifts) yet so...

Oh, we will be using cloth nappies mostly... I think makes a difference doesn't it?

In answer to the question of size..."how long is a piece of string?"LOL it's a hard one to answer as you do no know what size bubs will be weight or lenght until they arrive. Charlie was 51cm & grew flat out, the 0000 bondsuit in the Hosp only just did up because of length. I find it easier to stick with 000 & just roll up the sleeve's....though if bubs came early then you would need much smaller stuff.
    I loved the singlet suits as they stay put, especially when it's cold & the are great in summer when it's really hot as you just put bubs in them & they don't ride up.
    I'm not & never was a big fan of little outfits in prob the first 6months. I get uncomfortable sitting in jeans at work, I can only imagine how horrible it would be to sleep in a pram all curled up in jeans etc & easier to swaddle when in a suit. I had lots of all in one suits...you can get packs of 2 or 3 cheap at Big W, Best & Less those types of places. And despite being told you will never use them all I went through heaps as Charlie was a chucker so we often changed for that, or he would we through (before we realised he needed next size nappy). HTH...not really sure if I answered your questions LOL sorry.

Socks was something I forgot about & never seem to have enough of, they always get eaten in the was & in Winter I always put a pair on under the wondersuit.

Gee that is a hard question to answer - DS was an average size baby - and was in mostly 000's from birth - but the wondersuits were a tight fit, because he was long - so I always had to buy the next size up. We got given lots of outfits (so take that into account) and I hardly used most of the outfits I was given or that we brought (but then he was a summer baby and only wore a nappy and singlet most days!!).

He was a chucker though, and we changed all the time - so we were always running out of singlets!!!

Not sure if that helps you at all, but its hard to know in advance if your bub will be a big bub, or a long skinny one (like mine) or if they will chuck the second that you get them in an outfit.. lol

With this one, I pulled out DS's outfits in 000 that were an all in one type thing, his wondersuits, and all his singlets and just brought about 5 new wintery type outfits. So I'm hoping that will be enough. But you can always run to the shop if its not.

Sorry not much help hey..

I found the bondsuits are a bit smaller, i only used 000's for my DS as the 0000's didnt touch him he was 8lb 10 oz . I did use a couple of 0000's on my DD who was a bit smaller, although i only had a couple and she didnt stay in 0000's for long.
    But its been a while so i will be interested to hear what others say.
    Sorry not much help

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

it's so hard to plan for isn't it?

i felt the same way

but bear in mind

- baby clothes you buy in shops are not made to accomodate MCN, so allow for that, you will need the next size up, to fit in the cloth nappy (esp if you use flats which are bulkier again).

- when changing a nappy, i found it easiest to have bubs in a two piece - so if top was still clean, i could leave that on, and just take off the leggings/bottoms.

- knowing what i know now, if i had a winter baby now, i would use a rotation of newborn sized flongies - easy as - to put over nb fitteds. Flongies take the place of the nappy cover AND a pair of warm pants - bonus - one less thing to put on. And they wash so easily, dry so fast.

- to NOT lose the tiny socks, i bought a washbag at spotlight, it has three divisions, looks like the size of a big pencil case (by Woolrite) cost $10, and i put the little sox in the dividers, so they don't get lost in all the other washing. i also washed my cloth breastpads in there, another thing you easily lose in the wash!

- Bonds IS a smaller sized brand compared to the other brands, i'd buy 000 in bonds.

- things that are really simple to do up, are wonderful.
    one zip instead of countless snaps - is brilliant for the middle of the night

and all those tops with the ENVELOPE necklines - perfect. like in Cotton on. love those. or the snaps on the shoulder line. babies HATE tight stuff over their heads. so many rigid too small necklines on baby tshirts - we just never used them, baby HATED them. (regardless of how cute said tee looked).

a newborn - how beautiful!
    awwww - cluck cluck cluck
    (goes off to rescue the contents of the living room from my Search and Destroy - i mean, my toddler.)

DD was a winter baby and 10lb 2oz born - she fit in 0000 for about 3 weeks only. I have always found Bonds to be small and get the next size up but we used the stretchy suits a lot when she was newborn (not the wondersuits, the thinner ones).
    I agree with Erin about the singlet suits - they are a million times better than singlets and we used them all the time. The good thing about all in ones of any kind, is that they make it easier to hold onto babies...or maybe that's just me! lol

My DS was mostly in 000 from birth as he was 51cm long. The Bonds wondersuits in 0000 were just too short, they only fit him for the couple of days in hospital!

I found all in one suits were easiest, less fiddly and i just think they'd be more comfortable! The singlet suits are awesome, i still use them now. You know that they wont ride up and they their back will always be covered.

My DS got lots of pants and tops outfits when he was born, i didn't have to buy any for him.

IMO, you can never have too many all in one suits! I even prefer these to normal pj's for bedtime.

Good luck! So much fun!!

I agree with whats been said as well.

For my winter baby we used: 2 x 0000 outfits.
    4 x 000 wondersuits
    4 x 000 full bodysuits
    6 x 000 singlets
    6 x socks/booties
    4 x 000 outfits i.e. tops & bottoms
    1 x hand knitted cardigen
    2 x knitted beanies

I had to avoid all things with fitted in feet second time around, because both my girls have had huge feet & they have grown out of length & feet first.

I agree with whats been said as well.

For my winter baby we used: 2 x 0000 outfits.
    4 x 000 wondersuits
    4 x 000 full bodysuits
    6 x 000 singlets
    6 x socks/booties
    4 x 000 outfits i.e. tops & bottoms
    1 x hand knitted cardigen
    2 x knitted beanies

I had to avoid all things with fitted in feet second time around, because both my girls have had huge feet & they have grown out of length & feet first.

I found this really overwhelming, i walked into the shops on a number of occasions trying to get organised and just walked out with nothing because i had no idea what to buy. Long sleeve, short sleeve, how many, what size.

I agree about the singlet suits aswell, my DS has worn them since he was born and he's now 16 months old, i like the idea of him never having a cold tummy. I have bought the Bonds brand and the Target brand, i personally prefer the Target material and it washes nicer.

Unless you are expecting a small bub 000 is pretty safe, you will find that they grow out of everything so quickly in those first few months you'll be packing away things that were worn once if at all. The girls seem to have you pretty organised, keep it simple and don't get too much.

If you know what you are having i'd say buy some things for 6months on because you get given everything for a small bub and then need to go out and shop for a whole new wardrobe in a few months time.

Good luck

I love singlet suits rather than regular singlets as they can't ride up. Other than that I agree with what the others have been saying

Maybe just get one or two of things cause all the things you are talking about getting are easy to get quickly - you or your partner can go out to supermarkets or shops and get mroe of what YOU like!

We got heaps of clothes as gifts so don't go overboard on what you buy. Send DP out for me if you really need it. We used the Bonds nighties a lot, they were great as there were no poppers to worry about for nappy changes.

I'm with Kirst - I reckon the Target brand of suits are better than Wondersuits, the cotton is softer & they wash really well, and they're cheaper. And they come on sale regularly. Same with singlet suits - I've really liked the Target ones & their plain t-shirts are good too.

Jan that was exactly what i was going to type. Target stuff is much better sized and cheaper.

Sorry if this has been said..just popping in quickly!..the only thing that I wanted to add is that sometimes cloth nappies can be a bit bulky and you can have troubles doing up tops that have buttons at the crotch..make sense??! So maybe keep that in mind.

Happy shopping!

I'd go for the 000 in Bonds wondersuits or 0000 in Target sizes for brand newborns...but they only fit for a few weeks if you have a average/big sized bubba. I think 4-6 suits would be good (although my DS vomitted pretty much non stop all day so I ended up needing more). Personally I don't like two piece suits for under 00 babies, they're too fiddly and awkward when moving bub around etc...the one pieces are much better.

I'd get more size 00 Bonds/000 other wondersuits for bubs when he/she is a little older, they are so handy and can be worn over top of each other to make them warmer even.

Singlets suits are great too, although I found them more useful as DS got older, maybe from size 00 when he started wearing 2 piece outfits.

One word EBAY!!!!!! It can be a mum's best friend. My DS is now 10 weeks old and in 00. He didn't touch 0000 and grew out of 000 last week (he was 9 pound 12 or 4.4kg which is huge). Don't bother with 0000 unless your bub is premie or very small. Wondersuits are good but seem to be smaller in size compared to other brands.

Anyway Ebay, you can get some great deals on bulk baby clothing for a good price. Most are second hand but in great condition. I felt funny about second hand clothing at first but living on one wage and a budget with a big fast growing baby has taught me to be realistic with cost. Last week for $50 including postage I received two boxes with over 70 pieces of clothing most of which had never been worn and included Bonds, Baby Plum and Pumpkin Patch brands.

But as others have said don't fret too much once she is here you learn real quick what your bub will fit into. And at the end of the day she won't worry what you put her in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast