Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going No-Poo

Default Going No-Poo

Well, sorta

I've been no shampoo before but used a commercial organic conditioner. It took a few weeks, but my hair was in beautiful condition when I did that, although I wore it natural (curly) so no heat treatments or anything then. Now, I'm back on the no-poo train. Not sure if I'll continue straightening my hair, we'll see how I go. Starting tomorrow, I'll be making a 'shampoo' and 'conditioner' - the shampoo is 1 tbsp baking soda to one cup hot water, squirted through the hair, massaged and rinsed, the conditioner is 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar to one cup hot water, massaged through and rinsed. I'll also do a weekly to fortnightly coconut oil treatment, as I found once my hair settled last time (I think about 3 weeks of gross greasiness) it was a lovely addition and made my hair strong and shiny. So I'll document my progress here. Anyone else already no-poo or want to join me?

I don't, tried once, but cradle cap is a ***** But DD1 doesn't use shampoo....can't remember the last time I actually washed her hair, and it always gorgeous.
    Good luck

I only wash mine and my girls hair once a week with an organic shampoo. I also do coconut oil every 2 weeks. The only part of my hair that I straighten is my fringe. My hair definately feels better since I started doing this. I never thought to make my own shampoo. Will wait for your feedback and decide then.

I'll be stalking with interest.. Do you put coconut oil on dry or wet hair?

I have naturally very very curly hair and I only wash once a week or once a fortnight - you cant tell as its curly. I am interested to see how you go.

Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated with posts and pictures.

Lime argh! I hope that doesn't happen to me. Didn't last time so fingers crossed. I don't wash DD's hair either and it's lovely.

I have super curly hair but from heat damage and colouring it's just frizz and feral. I had lovely defined curls last time, I might give up straightening for good if I get the same results.

i'm interested too. I only get around to washing my hair about once a week and its so gross and oily. so if doing it once a week like that would be better for it im in!. I also never curl or staighten or anything my hair. always towel dry my hair (sometimes not even that) and give it a brush through. (you can probably tell i dont really look after it =P).
    please keep us updated and i might even give it a go!

I have done this before... mostly from sheer laziness and lack of time at first haha. Think I started a thread about it here somewhere once upon a time... might try and find it.

Will be watching with interest. It has been about two weeks here since I washed, I generally go about a week or two. The worst for me is around 3-5 days past washing but once I get through that it is great. Might be inspired to just keep up not washing...

I don't colour my hair and it is naturally dead straight so never had to worry about those things.

ETA: Found the post; here you go.

I have noticed it depends what shampoo i use too as to whether i feel i need to wash it sooner or not. i have one brand of shampoo that the next day my hair feels terrible, but another brand that i can go 4 or so days before it feels ferral.

when you arent washing it would you still rinse it? like get it wet, or would you keep it dry until you washed it?

I'll be interested to see how you go. I'd like to do something similar, but if I don't wash my hair every 2 days it goes horribly greasy.

Are you putting the baking soda and water In a spray bottle?

I wish I could. My hair is so oily I have to wash every day & the itch drives me nuts. I couldn't handle a few weeks of it.
    Maybe I'll try it for DS & DD3's hair though. I don't wash theirs.

I barely shampoo. I use it as an emergency kinda thang (like if i have been swimming or sitting on a plane for too long and feel icky). I am always way to shy to tell people that I *might* shampoo once a month...and even then i would be lying it's such a rare occurence lol. The girls get a shampoo a bit more often as they both tend to get food in it...especially honey (of which i have found is very tenacious and doesnt want to budge).

what's weird is that if i do shampoo my poor scalp really suffers!

For those who dont shampoo, do you rinse or just leave it alone?

I'd rinse. I think you're supposed to. Every second day is what I do because otherwise my hair gets too messy (can't really brush when curly).

liking the sound of this. loving the theory. I'll give it go
    tomorrow is day 3 no wash ( had it trimmed 3 days ago)

yeah i guess i do put my head under the hot shower sans cap once a week...i guess that it helps lol

I wash my hair every second day, otherwise my irritable scalp becomes unbearably itchy. But maybe it's the frequent washing with all those chemicals which has made it irritable?? Hmmm... interested to see how you go PZ. Not sure I could get through the itchy stage if I tried it!! Going to the holiday house next week, could try it while I'm there and not going to see anyone I know! Does the baking soda deal with the grease? And where do I buy coconut oil?? I have looked for it for my very dry hair but I can't find it!

Yeah, why not! I'll give a go!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast