Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going No-Poo

Nickle, online, or if you have an Indian or Asian convenience store, they will have it

Well, I'm here on my official Day 1. I'm considering starting a blog for this, because I basically want to overhaul my entire bathroom and beauty products to home made, I was thinking of documenting the no-poo thing and also making a new product each week. I'll post here for now though

So I made up the shampoo and conditioner in two separate squirty bottles. Shampoo = 1 tbsp baking soda and 1 cup hot water, shaken up, conditioner = 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1 cup hot water, shaken. The squirty bottle for the shampoo was broken, so I had to carefully pour that straight in. It's a weird sensation to get used to, massaging something in that isn't slippery and lathering, as that's what we're used to. I poured it in in parts into wet hair, to make sure I got everywhere. Massaged the scalp all the way to the tips. It felt a little chalky, and my hair separated really nicely into well defined strands of curls. Really noticed that it was in there rinsing it out, and it kind of stings when it gets in your eyes and tastes salty The conditioner was great to put in with the squirty bottle, because if you have thick hair like me, it's easiest to do it in sections or layers. I love the smell of ACV so that was a bonus. My hair definitely felt drier than if I had used a commercial shampoo and conditioner (all the silicone I guess!), rinsing the conditioner out, my hair felt quite dry and knotted from massaging, but combing it out was relatively easy.

Straight after, my hair fell into nice thick strands instead of thin frizzy ones which was good. I dried it by patting and gently scrunching, which I never normally do because I immediately blowdry and straighten my hair (argh, the damage). I also put a little bit of coconut oil into the ends of my hair, because they are the frizziest and driest bits. It's still drying now, I'll take a pic and try to put it here when I'm done. It definitely feels clean, but a different clean to what I'm used to, which is usually VERY fluffy, frizzy and boofy for the first day or two after washing my hair. it doesn't smell like vinegar either which is good if you don't like the smell. I know the first two + weeks will be the hardest in terms of transition for my hair. Like I said, it feels a little drier than if I had used commercial stuff, but that's because it's not coated in crap. Knowing my hair, it will go through a dry period for a day, then overcompensate with extra oil. I'll push through this gross phase! Plan is to wash my hair with the shampoo and conditioner once a week, and to wet under the shower every 1-2 days. I'll try to leave it 2 days, but with my curls it tends to get a bit messy if left longer than 1-2 days. I'll only use coconut oil for the tips, and once a f/n as an overnight treatment.

I reckon though that as you go, you will find that the coconut oil will be used less and less, that is what i found anyway. it's pretty cool seeing how your body becomes so self sufficient...a bit like childbirth really lol.

Totally. I'm liking forward to my hair finding it's happy place, that's for sure. Totally like birth..just leave it to do its own thing naturally

Okay, I'm attempting to attach pictures from my phone on TT. Let's see how this goes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348029890.090754.jpg

Day 1 No-Poo. Curls okay, hair showing damage from heat treatments and due but feels and smells really clean.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348029999.937259.jpg

Side-on. Can see lots of frizz and evidence of heat damage and due (growing out ewww). Better than with commercial products which equal giant frizz ball.

Didn't have anything to make the shampoo and conditioner so just used water.
    Hair feels fine. Pretty interested to see how it's going to go, though.

good lord lady! how did you manage to get your hair so straight! your hair is super curly!

I know. It's a huge effort straightening it daily. If it's a hair wash day, it takes about an hour of blow drying and straightening. On a non hair wet/wash day, 30 mins. My hair is very damaged from years of straightening, the top layer is so wiry and brittle.

How's it going PZ? I'm officially "day 2" and my hair feels a bit gross, oily at the roots.
    DH is grabbing some stuff on the way home so I can make the shampoo and conditioner.

Hard to say. The first 2 weeks to a month are always a bit off. I'd say a bit greasy at the roots, very dry elsewhere. I wet it in the shower again today, my hair is too knotty and curly to leave. Might see if I can find a home made anti frizz solution. I've got day 2 photos but no real difference, just less boofy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348116642.088693.jpg

I've just been reading along.... It's very interesting and in all honesty I'd LOVE to do it along with you, if just a bit chicken right now! lol I have really quite long hair (about down to my belly button) so whenever I have to wash it which is usually once or twice a week the roots are greasy but the tips are pretty dry. The hairdressers always comment on how beautiful and healthy my hair is (i tell em its coz I don't do anything to it haha). So anyway maybe coming up to summer anyway where I can get away with wearing a hat for the 'gross days' I may convince myself to join you ladies!

FWIW PZ I think you have really beautiful hair and it didn't look at all frizzy to me just a lot of body

ohhh now we're talking, anti frizz stuff. my hair is so fine that oils just drown it.
    I had to do homemade low lights today so used 'poo.
    scared to go silicon free.
    Chinese women have such smooth hair. maybe they hardly wash. I know after you have a baby your not allowed to wash your hair for a month. maybe that helps?

Wow pz you have gorgeous hair!

I love this idea. I hate washing my hair, and do it once a week. I think I have shampooed dds hair three times and it's always gorgeous.

I don't use soap in the shower either, or deodorant but I do need some moisturizer. Do you think coconut oil would be a good skin moisturizer?

I have used coconut and lanolin in my hair for years to encourage curls, since it is moisturizing.

I will be starting this next week, once I've organized the squirty bottles!!

Coconut oil is a gorgeous skin moisturiser! I used to use it everywhere. I'm going to be making a body and face moisturiser soon, just checking out recipes etc. Will be totally overhauling the bathroom, then onto the rest of the house. My goal is all natural, all home made products. Starting with the hair lol.

Tonight I'm contemplating a conditioning treatment. Can't decide between mayo or a honey, avocado, egg and coconut milk one. Probably will go with mayo because it's quicker. I've also found recipes for whipped hair butter that I'm going to refine a bit for myself and try out as my anti frizz product.

I'm going to try to go natural as well.
    Going to start trying an Oil Face Cleanse (you can google it), and if it works, get rid of my expensive products that don't work.

My hair is thick, knotty, limp and usually in poor condition. It's a bit icky now due to having it cut on Tuesday and having loads of products used on it.

I am going to try washing with bicarb and condition with apple cider vinegar too after reading this, thank you for the inspiration.

I usually wash my hair every 4 days, although it can be greasy on the last day. Hoping this will work better for me and help my curls, which last about 5-6 hours after washing then hair goes limp.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast