Thread: Natural Deodorant

Default Natural Deodorant

Just had to post. Started using natural deodorant a few weeks ago. Well I am really surprised.

I had always thought I needed a strong antiperspirant. Not so much for wetness, but for smell. I found I would be fine for awhile, then I would just stink. I would need to change brands, then it would work again. When it failed, Oh boy, it was a huge failure. The stink was horrid. If I was not home would have to rush out, get baby wipes, a new top and a new can. Sometimes to counteract it I would try Driclor. It helped, but the itchiness was just horrid some nights. Often clothes would have to be thrown, no matter what I tried to clean them with, once they really stunk up there was not cure.

I read some posts about using a natural deodorant which explained how it worked, they made sense so I took the plunge.

So far it has been worth it. Even if I get sweaty, I may smell a bit, I don't stink. My clothes don't stink like they once did. Yes I feel a bit wet at times, but it is so much better

Fingers crossed natural deodorant still works over summer

Default Re: Natural Deodorant

What are you using? I used to make my own but it melted at over 24 degrees so was a bit of a pain.

Definitely interested in what you're using!

Trying Moogoo and QV roll=ons (Just feel better with a roll-on.). Have the QV one in my bag as backup, but I suspect it will be become my main one, cheaper and easier for me to buy.
    Also got the Sukin one, it is a pump spray. Has a rather nice subtle smell, so use it as a light body spray for day (rather than pits), or just a quick spritz (pits) if I have a shower at night. DH has noted that I smell sweet now.

Also try to use teatree soap to help control the bacteria. I just don't want to use a teatree deo.

Interesting trying to track proper deodorant, so much reading of labels. Cannot go by the shelf label, as everything is classified as deo. The supermarkets are pretty useless. Some chemists keep them all together, others you have to know the brand supplies it in order to find it. Am still yet to check out the health stores.

ETA: Not sure if QV is classed natural, just know it is aluminium free. Don't have the mental energy to do full blown research of every single ingredient)
    Last edited by Astrid; September 9th, 2014 at 02:33 AM. Reason: more info

Moo goo is good. The crystal ones are cheap and work pretty well with no scent added to them so if you wear perfume, the scent doesn't mix.

I haven't tried anything like those, but I do find that if I use an antibacterial soap (we get Gamophen Antibacterial Medicated Soap) there's basically no smell.

Also, sitting quietly on the couch watching TV and not exerting any energy at all is good.

But yeah, yay for antibacterial soap.

I wish I could find a natural one that works! But here are my dilemmas:

The epic fail of naturals I've used previously
    I always thought dri clor was normal deodorant with extra aluminium, making it even worse?
    I've been told the crystal ones are just a different form of aluminium?
    If you have to use antibacterial soap, who knows what it might have in it? Triclosan is in lots of antibacterial stuff.

Sukin one does smell awesome though!

Quote Originally Posted by surprised View Post

I always thought dri clor was normal deodorant with extra aluminium, making it even worse?
    If you have to use antibacterial soap, who knows what it might have in it? Triclosan is in lots of antibacterial stuff.

I remember trying a crystal one ages ago, don't think it worked well from memory

Yeah, Dri Clor is extra aluminium, hence why I don't really want to use it again. Have really gone off the concept of using clogging my pores.

Quote Originally Posted by surprised View Post

I checked my crystal one and yes it's a type of aluminum which surprised me. Which type of aluminum is dangerous?

Not sure FL. I don't know enough to be confident about anything - just worried about everything lol