Thread: Oily face and hair

Default Oily face and hair

Right now I'm over dealing with super oily hair and face.

I wash hair daily as it's yuck after half a day and looks super dirty. What products/shampoo/conditioner is best (for oily hair ones make no difference)??

Whats best for my face, products and/or routines?

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Default Re: Oily face and hair

My hairdresser suggested using fine hair shampoo if I couldn't find a good oily hair one (I like the fructis oily shampoo & conditioner - green bottle as that works best in my hair). At least I'm fairly sure it's a fructis one - currently out of it and using my backup/going away shampoo & conditioner to get rid of it & this one isn't as good

Try a clarifying shampoo or one that has salicylic acid as one of the ingredients like dandruff shampoo, or use a small amount of vinegar in your rinse water, just to give it a really thorough clean & get rid of any build up. Also, if you brush just before you wash, that helps get the scalp clean. Massage the shampoo into your scalp, shampoo twice, and if you use conditioner, only on the ends.

I've been having oiliness issues lately too. I've taken to wiping my face sometimes during the day with witchhazel, it seems to cut through the grease without drying or stimulating more oil. And I love love clay masques, my skin is much better for a few days after using them, but I don't do them often enough.

You can also try sleeping with a clean towel over your pillowcase (it soaks up some of the oil while you sleep), and I've also heard of people brushing baby powder or cornstarch into their hair, it helps absorb the oil.

DeLorenzo make a nice shampoo for oily hair.
    Definitely only use conditioner on the roots- if at all.

For my oily face- I use body shop blotting papers, I'm sure other companies make them as well.
    Like PP said, clay masks are marvelous!

I took a long-term approach to greasy hair last year, after battling with it my entire life.

I didn't use shampoo for a month. I tried the whole bicarb/vinegar thing earlier, but that did nothing. So I did just plain water for a month.

When that was up, I started to use shampoo again. And I now wash my hair every 4-5 days.

As for my face, that's water only for most of the week. I cleanse, tone and moisturise twice a week (and need to use products for combination skin: oily skin products make the oil worse). Any more and that stimulates the oils and spots.

I have the same issues. Always have. I haven't tried anti dandruff shampoo though...
    I've gone without conditioner, it makes no difference for me. I have to wash my hair in the morning because it's horrible by morning if done the night before & I'm really over it.
    I wonder if I could hermit for a month to see if that works?

I've tried no shampoo/conditioner, just water, and it looks worse!
    I might give dandruff stuff a go and see if it helps at all.
    Hmmm, I'm a lover of conditioner, perhaps that's part of the problem? I slather it on the same way as shampoo and massage it in.

Has anyone tried Cetaphil for there face? Google searches have shown at lot of users from other pages, that it works well.

Would an acne wash work? Oily face and breakouts are a big issue lately too

Only time my skin isn't oily is when I'm pregnant!

My skin is the best it's ever been at the moment. I started using coconut oil a few weeks ago. But I took the risk of putting oil on oily skin, because it'd been good for so long. If I do break out it seems to speed up the healing at least. And my skin feels better.
    I have broken out a bit this week, but have just had AF. I never have my hair out. It's always tied up off my face, so I think that helps. Have you tried phisohex? I found that really good for my skin.

I was on roaccutane (?) as a teen coz my skin was so bad :/

I've used Cetaphil, didn't really notice a difference. Like clover, I found phisohex worked the best for me. Helped dry my skin out and keep the breakouts at bay.

Never heard of phisohex, where do you buy it from?
    Im willing to give anything a go

I get it from the chemist :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosetti View Post
    Hmmm, I'm a lover of conditioner, perhaps that's part of the problem? I slather it on the same way as shampoo and massage it in.
    That could well be part of it. Was recently told by our hairdressing salon that when you wash out conditioner, it should feel like you have not put any in. Too much conditioner and it not being washed out properly was causing issues with DD1 and bad hair tangles, which sounds odd, but too much conditioner seems to cause problems.

So as suggested before, just the ends and wash out well.

And I wanted to mention another thing I'm experimenting with at the moment - dabbing on a solution of epsom salts mixed with water, then leaving it to dry and going to bed. You would think that something "salty" might dry the skin, but it doesn't and my skin looks awesome when I wake up. It's too early to call, but I think it might be helping with the oiliness factor too.