Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow cooking - overnight?

Default Slow cooking - overnight?

Hello slow cooker experts,

I bought some stuff to slow cook today and then the power went out from 10am-4pm

I've got a backup for tonight but would really like to do the chicken tomorrow night - but I'm at work all day. Had a thought of putting it on overnight.

Has anyone done that before? I'm pretty consistent at stirring - that's my only concern with overnight, I won't be able to stir it.

Should be ok I think?? Put it on about 10pm, done by 6am?

I don't see why not. I rarely stir the food once it's in the cooker, always turns out fine

I only stir the food to combine the flavours. Once that's done I don't touch it again.

Actually that's not quite true - if it is a bit too runny I will stir at the end with the lid off to encourage it to steam off a bit of liquid.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Yes go for it, I do it all the time. I never stir and as I am gone for 12 hours in the day I find if I put it on at 10 and flick it off at 6am its great. The only dilemma is what to do with it at 6, its usually a bit hot for the fridge....

Yep, I used to do it all the time when I worked - no problem at all!

Oh yes - what do I do with it at 6am?? Can't leave it on the bench - too warm tomorrow!

Have you got a timer in the house? Put it on now and get the timer to switch it off in 8 hours? Should be cool enough at 6 then to put in the fridge.

You could just mix up all the ingredients tonight and then throw them in the crock pot in the morning and turn it on.

Are you not comfortable leaving it on while you are out tomorrow? I always put mine together in the morning and leave it during the day, other than stock which i do overnight..

We have a timer and set it up to go on about 10-11am and finish at 5pm - as we are gone all day so it never gets stirred till the end - never impacts the meal though

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I bought a timer for mine so I didn't worry about over cooking my tea. Took DH a bit to get used to the idea of the timer as he was a bit concerned about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so sorry if I'm confusing you

Hmmmm a timer... DH is an electrician and I do not think we have that particular electrical device in our house

Should have thought of that today at the shops. Hmm.

He doesn't like leaving things on all day... Some sort of electrical fear.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    He doesn't like leaving things on all day... Some sort of electrical fear.
    That's what DH had to get over

He just said it's a fire hazard. We only paid $37 for the slow cooker - he doesn't trust it

Says the only reason he's ok with it being on overnight is because there are 75 smoke detectors in our house and we will definitely be woken up if anything happens

Ok maybe not 75... Maybe 12. I just counted in my head. That's what you get from marrying a fire/evac electrician I guess I'm actually surprised he didn't wire in an evac system too

I still haven't burnt the house down. Think of it as leaving a lightbulb on all day.

Onyx, I bet no one has burned the house down

Ok, shouldn't say that, someone might have... But no one I know! Just try telling DH that... It don't matter!!!

OP get him to put an extra safety switch or put an extra circuit in just for the slow cooker

I must admit I was a little nervous the first time I left it on all day, but all was good

Now I worry that I haven't turned it on and that we'll come home to raw dinner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast