Thread: Anyone have a Killer Mushroom Soup Recipe?

Default Anyone have a Killer Mushroom Soup Recipe?

I have lots of Mushrooms

DH loves Mushroom Soup - prefers Creamy Mushroom

I need a great recipe - stovetop or slow cooker is fine

TIA

Killer mushroom soup, hey.... hmmm.....not sure, but I'm guessing you start with poisoness mushrooms

The ones with the red caps perhaps..... would you believe our local paper actually had to publish a warning about eating them?!

I would actually love a good mushie soup recipe. Hope someone posts one!!

Onyx, people are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by nothing2lose View Post
    Killer mushroom soup, hey.... hmmm.....not sure, but I'm guessing you start with poisoness mushrooms
    Bwahahahahahaa N2L - let me just post officially (in case the cops are lurking) that I am not trying to kill DH

Fair enough. At least if it tastes good, he will die happy

Here is Jamie Oliver's recipe.

Now I want to go out and hunt down some mushrooms. It's a shame it hasn't rained recently
    DH is very suspicious of wild mushrooms which is great because there's more for me

ingredients

• a small handful of dried porcini
    • olive oil
    • 600g mixed fresh wild mushrooms (chanterelles, girolles, trompettes de mort, ****ake, oyster), cleaned and sliced
    • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
    • 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
    • a knob of butter
    • a handful of fresh thyme, leaves picked
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock, preferably organic
    • a handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
    • 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
    • 1 lemon
    optional: truffle oil

method
    The nice thing about nearly all mushrooms is that, if cooked correctly, they do have wonderful flavour. If you were to use a field of Portabello mushrooms to make a soup, just adding a tiny bit of dried porcini into the base would make the whole thing more luxurious.

Place the porcini in a small dish, add boiling water just to cover, and leave to soak. Get a large casserole-type pan nice and hot, then add a good couple of lugs of olive oil and your fresh mushrooms. Stir around very quickly for a minute, then add your garlic, onion, butter and thyme and a small amount of seasoning. After about a minute you'll probably notice moisture cooking out of the mushrooms and at this point add half of your porcini, chopped up, and the rest left whole. Strain the soaking liquid to remove any grit, and add it to the pan. Carry on cooking for about 20 minutes until most of the moisture disappears.

Season to taste, and add your stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 20 minutes. I usually remove half the soup from the pan and whiz it up to a pur?e at this point, then pour it back in, adding the parsley and mascarpone, and seasoning carefully to taste.

You can serve this soup as you like, but there are a few things to remember when finishing it off. Mix together a pinch of salt and pepper with the zest of one lemon and the juice of half of it, then spoon a little of this into the middle of the soup. When you go to eat it, stir it in and it gives a wonderful flavour. Other things you can consider are little slices of grilled crostini put into the bottom of the bowls before the soup is poured over. Or you could even quickly fry some nice-looking mushrooms – like girolles, chanterelles or oysters – and sprinkle these on top of the soup. If I was going to use truffle oil, then I would use it on its own – a few drips on the top just before serving.

Yum I love mushroom soup, really creamy thick soup!

I have a great one but will have to post tomorrow for you! I think it was originally in the Herald Sun weekend mag.

Here's one for the slow cooker. I haven't made it myself, but everything else I've pulled out of this book has been beautiful.

Prep time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 2 hours. Serves 4

10g dried porcini mushrooms
    1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
    100g pancetta or bacon, chopped
    200g Swiss brown mushrooms, roughly chopped
    300g large field mushrooms, roughly chopped
    125ml Madeira (Malmsey) - if unavailable, use Sherry
    1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
    2 teaspoons chopped marjoram
    90g light sour cream or creme fraiche
    Marjoram leaves to garnish

Soak the porcini in 250ml boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking water.

Combine the porcini and the soaking water, leek, pancetta/bacon, swiss brown and field mushrooms, Madeira, stock and half of the chopped marjoram in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 hours.

Using a hand held stick blender, puree the soup. Alternatively transfer the soup mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth, then return the soup to the slow cooker.

Stir through the sour cream and cook for a further 5 minutes, then stir through the remaining chopped marjoram. Garnish with marjoram leaves and serve with crusty bread.

Made this last night, and hubby, who normally can't stand mushrooms, ate the entire lot.
    Bonus points are it is fairly quick and easy

1/2 cup heavy cream
    3 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
    50g unsalted butter
    500g crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (5cups) (I used button)
    2 large leeks, white and pale green parts only, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
    1 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

preparation

Using electric mixer, beat cream just until soft peaks form. Fold in 2 teaspoons thyme. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to blend flavors. (Thyme cream can be made up to 1 day ahead. If cream separates, whisk until soft peaks re-form. ) Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before serving to come to room temperature.
    In a large stock pot over moderately high heat, heat 2 tablespoons butter until hot but not smoking. Working in 2 batches (add 2 more tablespoons butter before second batch), cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
    In same stock pot over moderate heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in leeks, cover, and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cooked mushrooms, sprinkle with flour, and stir until flour is evenly distributed. Stir in stock, then salt, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme. Bring to boil, stirring often, then reduce heat to low, set lid ajar, and simmer 20 minutes. (Soup can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated, covered. Reheat before serving.)
    Divide soup among 4 bowls and top each portion with dollop of thyme cream. Serve immediately.