Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i make pumpkin soup?

Default How do i make pumpkin soup?

I have cut up the pumpkin and steamed it

But what do i do now?

thanks

Chuck it in a blender with salt and garlic and some sauted onion and a bit of curry powder/paste and some stock.

what Onyx said... or even just by itself!! Yummo!

not exactly pumpkin soup, but I do it like this:

(typing with babe in arms so i apologise now for mistakes and grammer!)

lightly fry a chopped onion and some garlic in a little oil. throw in some pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, and carrot cook for a few mins. add a fewcups of stock (chicken or veg) boil until its all soft enough to blend. blend it up add a cup of milk and salt pepper to taste. the milk makes its taste creamy. yummmeee!!

Forgot to say I like to chuck a dollop of cream (or even yogurt) in as I serve it.

for next time, if you dry roast the pumpkin instead of steaming it, it adds more flavour. yummy

I like to make too much roast pumpkin when I make a roast so that I can use the leftovers for soup *drools*

I'm a fan of nutmeg in pumpkin soup

thanks ladies... I am however currently missing a blender... one of the things MIL recently packed up for DH...

could i mash it.... or should i just buy a blender tomorrow?

mashing is fine, add some stock if it's still a bit lumpy We regularly just have ours mashed when I can't be bothered cleaning the blender!!!

The one i made the other day was brown onion, bacon & zucchini, boil up some pumpkin in chicken stock, then add in all the pre-cooked stuff until the pumpkin is soft and the water is basically gone then throw in a blender.. even DP ate it and DD2 went back for 2 bowls

I fry up some onion and garlic til aromatic then add chopped pumpkin in stock and cook til tender, I also usually add a few potatoes and some cauliflower in it, dash of nutmeg and cream to serve...Mmmmm! I also have a Donna Hay recipe for a Thai spiced one that is delish which has spice and coconut milk in it.

Mashing is fine.
    Can't believe your MIL stole your blender. What a twat.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Oh never made pumpkin soup sounds easy, how much pumpkin do you need to make a big batch?

The spiced thai one sounds yummo, is it easy?

Made mine again today ladies... *DROOL* an entire butternut pumpkin in there and threw in some left over capsicum aswell.. mm mmm mmm

Just saw this Feeb - it is super easy but I have just realised that there is a page torn out of my recipe book and it is that one recipe Waaahhh - will chase it up but if anyone has the The Instant Cook book by Donna Hay it is in there and they might be able to post it!

I cook a whole butternut pumpkin, about 1/2 a smallish QLD Blue, a couple of small potatoes and a small sweet potato. I then fry an onion or two (depending on how much pumpkin there is) and while frying I add some nutmeg to it and sort of caramelise it. Then I blend it all up and throw it in the slow cooker along with some nutmeg, salt, pepper and some cooked bacon pieces.

I add a small amount of cream to the bowls when serving and some nice crusty bread from the bakery. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Chuck it in a blender with salt and garlic and some sauted onion and a bit of curry powder/paste and some stock.
    I do this, with added nutmeg and Ginger, finished with a dollop of cream and some coriander.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast