Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i make pumpkin soup?

The best way I have found is to get a butter-nut pumpkin (just cut in half, leave the skin on), scrap out the seeds, drizzle oil over it and roast in a 230c oven with an onion and garlic for an hour.

Then you scrape out the roast pumpkin, squeeze out the onion and garlic. I use a stick blender with a bit of chicken stock to blend it all up. Add as much chicken stock as you think (I add 4 cups) then 2 cups of milk and let it simmer for ages (until it gets thick)

Serve with a dollop of sour cream!

If you want a creamy pumpkin soup without the dairy or fat... try a handful of cashews in the blender when you blitz it.

For something different you can add some curry paste and some coconut milk for a Thai style pumpkin soup, garnish with coriander
    Yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mel_cur View Post
    The best way I have found is to get a butter-nut pumpkin (just cut in half, leave the skin on), scrap out the seeds, drizzle oil over it and roast in a 230c oven with an onion and garlic for an hour.

Then you scrape out the roast pumpkin, squeeze out the onion and garlic. I use a stick blender with a bit of chicken stock to blend it all up. Add as much chicken stock as you think (I add 4 cups) then 2 cups of milk and let it simmer for ages (until it gets thick)

Serve with a dollop of sour cream!
    This sounds like another nice and easy and yummy way to make pumpkin soup- think i might give it a go over the next few days. But just a question- is there a step missing between the using the stick blender to mix it all and adding the milk and simmering until thickens? I don't usually use my stick blender- i use my magic bullet (easy to clean- i just stick it in the dishwasher)- so do you have it all in a saucepan on a stove when your combining it all including the milk?

oops yeah I just either blend it in the saucepan or you can use a blender. Not sure what a magic bullet is but sounds awesome! HTH

I roast my veg first, it tastes waaaaaaaay better.

Quote Originally Posted by mel_cur View Post
    Not sure what a magic bullet is but sounds awesome! HTH
    It is awesome- its one of those danoz direct blender things- comes with cups to blend in or a bigger jug type thing (like an actual blender shape)- it has 2 different blades to attach on the bottom and it all comes apart and goes in the dishwasher. Its been great for making everything from purees, drinks (love making smoothies) and of course soups.

So thanks for the speedy reply mel_cur i think i may end up making this version tomorrow (i'll probably add some cook diced bacon, maybe sweet potato to the mix too).

Bacon makes EVERYTHING better

heres how i do mine..
    a butternut pumpkin cut into reasonable squares
    3-4 potatoes cut in half
    2-2.5 liters chicken stock
    one onion
    curry powder
    garlic
    put it all in a big saucepan and simmer for around 2 hrs

add some butter and sugar when blending it and a bit of cream!! i always add extr curry powder to my own bowl but in the pot i put prob put 2 teaspoons

sooo good with garlic bread DS loves it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    I roast my veg first, it tastes waaaaaaaay better.
    And retain nutrients too i'd think.

I can't believe i never thought to do it this way...i've just always followed my mother-in-law's recipe from 13years ago when i first made it (i can't actually remember ever having pumpkin soup at home- probably because if we ever had soup it would always be dad's split pea, bacon bone and every vegetable he could find- all done in a pressure cooker).

Love this thread.. ive always wondered how to make it!!

Question though, do you HAVE to use butternut pumpkin? Im not a huge fan of it...

I usually use a jap or QLD blue, they're much more flavoursome than the butternut.

ETA - and roasting first really boosts the flavour because the sugar is caramelised a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by young_mumma87 View Post
    heres how i do mine..
    a butternut pumpkin cut into reasonable squares
    3-4 potatoes cut in half
    2-2.5 liters chicken stock
    one onion
    curry powder
    garlic
    put it all in a big saucepan and simmer for around 2 hrs

add some butter and sugar when blending it and a bit of cream!! i always add extr curry powder to my own bowl but in the pot i put prob put 2 teaspoons

sooo good with garlic bread DS loves it!!
    Yeah- thats pretty much been my pumpkin soup minus the curry powder and add the bacon instead. Always been a huge hit- even DS1 went back for a second helping when i made it last week.

F ds always goes back for seconds! one of the best meals to get some vegies in them!!

Sage and Cinnamon (or Nutmeg) works really well too. Also go some leek instead of onion.

I always roast my pumpkin first too.

Go and have a search for the Donna Hay recipie..it was on Fox a few weeks ago on her new show - no cutting of the pumpkin required (except in half), i always avoided pumpkin soup because i hated chopping the pumpkin up.

She adds honey to her mix too...sounded a little weird at first, but my gosh, delish...

Todays was roasted:
    pumpkin, zucchini, celery, onion, potato. capsicum with garlic & a tiny bit of oil.. then added in some cooked peas & corn and threw it in the blender.. ohh and had chicken stock over the veggies in the oven at the end

I never realized there were so many ways to make it!!

I chop up a whole butternut pumpkin, a few potatoes, a sweet potato, carrot and onion and put in a pot of water with some chicken stock and let boil til everything is soft then blend with a barmix. (so much easier than a blender!) put some cream in and then a little more when served. Yummo! I'm having some leftover for lunch that I froze from last time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast