Thread: Anyone had their tubes tied?

Default Anyone had their tubes tied?

So I'm having my 4th c-section in about 12 weeks so my surgeon and I have been discussing the option of getting my tubes tied this time. I'm fairly happy with the decision of only 4 children and I don't want to risk the dangers of a 5th c-section. Just wondering those who have had it done, have you had any complications? Have your periods been worse since? Anything else I should know?? Hubby and I are wondering if this is the best option or whether he should get a vasectomy.

No advice, I have an appointment with the hospital to talk about getting this done next month. I'm also interested to know how things were after the procedure

Yep, the only reason I agreed to a csection was if they did my tubes at the same time. No complications I'm aware of so far. My period returned pretty quickly even though I was bfing - but I was pretty stressed so that could account for it. My cycle is now shorter - like 24 days - and heavier than it used to be. In fact, exactly like it was when I was a teen before I went on the pill. So I've just gone back on the pill to control it

I'm happy with my tubes tied as DS was a total accident and I didn't want that to happen again. If I was really really ready to hang up my reproductive hat I would have asked for a hysterectomy. But I'm not quite there yet.

I had my tubes tied after having my 4th child via csection just over 5 yars ago now

No complications at all. My tubes were cut and burnt then I think they tied the ends off (ie no chance of becoming pregnant)

When dd was 2 my periods became heavier and I had shocking cramps. Something I have never dealt with before. I assumed it was from having the tubal after visiting dr google . Have since seen my dr (well last October). Ended up on some pills which helped greatly

I stopped taking those pills this October and my periods are now 4-7 days. Only one heavy crampy day. I was told that it is more to do with my age (36) then having the tubal

Any further questions ask away

Quote Originally Posted by ryatha View Post
    Yep, the only reason I agreed to a csection was if they did my tubes at the same time. No complications I'm aware of so far. My period returned pretty quickly even though I was bfing - but I was pretty stressed so that could account for it. My cycle is now shorter - like 24 days - and heavier than it used to be. In fact, exactly like it was when I was a teen before I went on the pill. So I've just gone back on the pill to control it

I'm happy with my tubes tied as DS was a total accident and I didn't want that to happen again. If I was really really ready to hang up my reproductive hat I would have asked for a hysterectomy. But I'm not quite there yet.
    I guess this is my biggest worry because you are the 2nd person now I have spoken to that have had to go on the pill to control very heavy periods. Going on the pill isn't an option for me as it makes me very ill and I have tried a number of different types. So I worry what will happen if I get that side effect.

I went on cyclopron (sp). It's not the pill. It's a tablet taken 3 times a day when you have a period. I had no side effects at all either from it.

It's an option. Heavy periods may not happen either.

I haven't had my tubes tied. I just wanted to comment on the flipside. My DH did have a vasectomy. It was really quick & easy for him. Only a few days of minor discomfort. He had it done shortly after DD's birth so it cost less than $100 as we got most back due to the Medicare safety net threshold.

I know one person who had their tubes tied while having a CS as she figured they were already in there so why not.

I had mine done dec 10 when I had a ectopic pregnancy ds4 was 4 months old as I had 5 c-sections they said it was safer to do my tubes while they were removing my right tube this yr my periods have become heavy and painful and found out I have endometreriosis

do you have to be a certain age to get it done? i am thinking of getting it done but not sure if the docs would do it or not on me as i am only 33 and have 1 child.

I was only 24 (only turned 24 2 days before getting them done) but mine was due to amount of c-sections