Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How.. disappointing....

I've heard of Catholic hospitals refusing to provide IVF treatment, terminations and contraception, so I guess a vasectomy fits into that as well. But weather or not they make it clear that they are Catholic is another thing - our Mercy Hospital is (I think) but the only display of religion is the crucifix in every birth suite and in the foyer, and religion didn't affect any of our treatment during the pregnancy. If I asked for a termination it might be a different story.

Eeek are we not allowed to make grammar mistakes anymore...uh oh

Arimeh, I don't know of any private hospitals that aren't affiliated with a religion? Not saying there aren't any, but our options for private health around here are really limited. But for those that aren't, then it shouldn't be a problem to have it done.

I never thought about that, glad your DH can go somewhere else though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    Arimeh, I don't know of any private hospitals that aren't affiliated with a religion? Not saying there aren't any, but our options for private health around here are really limited. But for those that aren't, then it shouldn't be a problem to have it done.
    I guess i've never thought that they are affiliated lol!!!

I wouldn't have a clue whether selangor was or not, it certainly wasn't noticeable when I went there for Aricyn and kelti! Lol

You're probably just unlucky that for where you are that there aren't any secular ones. He can still use the PHI in the public hospital though and get his own Dr and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    He can still use the PHI in the public hospital though and get his own Dr and all that jazz.
    Actually he can't!! Strange huh!? This is what the chicky wrote him :"Unfortunately at the moment you cannot elect to be admitted as a private patient at the LGH for this procedure."

Very odd I think!!!

That is odd!!

Maybe the only surgeons that do them there are with the Catholic hossy??

We arent a small town, but we only have one surgeon outside of the 2 GP's that does them here at all!! So the waiting list to go to hossy is twice as long as the GP's.....

There are lots of hospitals owned by religious groups and Catholic hospitals and aged care facilities would be the most prevalent (most Mater hospitals will be Catholic - ever looked at the logos? Also 'St' hospitals, Mercy hospitals, google Catholic hospitals and check out the list!). The church beliefs often dictates services, although I'll be honest and say I didn't consider it for permanent contraception. The hospital is usually an extension of a health service that the church/mission offered in the area many, many years ago and has developed. It used to be that most private hospitals are church-based. Can't really be sure now, because it is more corporatised, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still are.

Our local private hospital (SAN) is Seventh Day Adventist owned. The SAN used to only serve vegetarian food (they now serve some food with meat, but it's a mostly vegetarian menu - yummy too!).

Mel - can your DH go as a private patient or use his own urologist at the public hospital?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    Sorry to be ignorant, but is the procedure not offered because it's against catholic beliefs? It seems pretty archaic in this day and age...but then again private hospitals are designed to cater to specific people...it would be different if there wasn't a public hospital as well.

Annoying for you guys though!
    I personally (as a catholic ) don't believe it is archaic. The catholic belief system is VERY clear about it's stance on contraception. This is a fundamental value and belief underpinning a major component of the religion. Most catholic hospitals (all that I know of) will treat patients who are of other denominations, but it is a bit much to ask a Catholic institution to perform 'elective' proceedures which are in direct contradiction to their morals and faith.

Yeah - i work in a catholic hospital and we are not allowed to provide the contraceptive pill to patients.
    Usually when pts come in, we supply all their usual medications and ask them to send the rest home EXCEPT the pill as we are not allowed to provide it.

The Nuns/sisters of charity own a STACK of catholic hospitals, both public and private - if the money didnt have to go back in to the facilities they would be LOADED!!! think of all the real estate

i know someone that could not have a termination done at a catholic hospital despite the fact that for her own health (baby suffered deformities etc) she needed to have it done. Seriously... its nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13 View Post
    Mel - can your DH go as a private patient or use his own urologist at the public hospital?
    nope! Lol

I believe Hobart Private isn't attached to any religion?

Funny though, I had DS and DD at a Wesley group hospital and I still had the contraceptive talk post birth with my OB, although they are UC not catholic so I'm not sure what their stance on contraception is?

Not to start anything but wouldn't a lot of hospital treatments go against religious beliefs? Trust in god, prayer and all that?

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyshoes View Post
    I believe Hobart Private isn't attached to any religion?
    maybe but we're not driving 3 hours with a 4 year old, 2.5 year old, 15 month old and a newborn to find out lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    maybe but we're not driving 3 hours with a 4 year old, 2.5 year old, 15 month old and a newborn to find out lol!!!
    Gee, where's your sense of adventure!

maybe you will just have to keep having more babies

That's crap! It kinda defeats the point of having PHI if you can't use it like that. I know public hospitals love you to use it there because their bills get paid quicker LOL. When Mum was in hospital over december/January she had quite a few private patients stay in the other bed in her room while they waited for a bed at the private hospital and all of them had their own private Drs come and see them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12